1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Important !! MKBoards will be moving to a new domain. Please read this thread. for details. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Woods

Discussion in 'Crossing Cup' started by Sergeant Guy, May 22, 2015.

1. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc

Optimal combo for this track:
    • Super Heavy weight character
    • Mach 8
    • (Cyber) Slicks
    • Heavy Glider
    Lap 1:
    After the startup boost, do two hops, right-left. Then do four slides; right-left-right-right and then start a drift to the right. Keep softdrifting while collecting the first three coins and then release your smt as soon as you get the third coin:

Jordan likes this.
  2. Doodle

Doodle

Team:
    Faction
    Fantastic guide!

Kona and Ebba like this.
  3. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    I need help with the glider part of this course. I can do the barrel part, but how do I approach the glider? Do I slide onto the glider, hop onto the glider, or just do nothing? I can't really relate to the guide, so if someone knows how to do the glider, I'd be very thankful. :p

4. Jozeph

Jozeph

You're going to want to slide onto it and trick.

5. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    Thanks. When exactly should I release the SMT?

6. Jozeph

Jozeph

Here.

lonelymoon likes this.
  7. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc
    @Jordan Groff maybe you should make this guide, if you dont want to I can!

lonelymoon likes this.
  8. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO
    i will this weekend!!

lonelymoon likes this.
  9. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
  10. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月 MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    when?

11. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO
    yeah idk

12. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None

13. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    This guide is never gonna happen I'm guessing :p

Pedro__ likes this.
  14. Mister Wu

Mister Wu

• MKBoards Supporter
    The two hops are what you need. Everything else is just plainly obvious.

15. Dinostraw

Dinostraw

Team:
    Nah, my only issue is Lap 3 shroomspot. I can eyeball it and figure it out, but it's also nice to have a written description in case that isn't enough.

16. Mister Wu

Mister Wu

• MKBoards Supporter
    't was a bit of irony ;) A guide is definitely needed, but it's also time consuming and by the looks of it the Time Tutors had problems that prevented the writing of it, which is something that can always happen. We just have to wait!

17. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    it will happen but i've only had the thread for like a week and i've had no time to write a proper guide. writing a good guide takes multiple hours including taking pictures + making gifs so it's very time consuming and you shouldn't be expecting that everybody has a lot of free time and is willing to just waste those hours by writing a guide instead of doing something else

Jozeph, awtkenny and Mister Wu like this.
  18. kerosene

kerosene

it's time to write a proper guide to this track once and for all

current wr and 1-2-0 bkt:

current n-a wr and 1-1-1 shroomstrat example:

2-1-0 shroomstrat example:

preface: to describe each section, i will be using specific timeframes from alberto's WR as examples. you might have to go back and slow the video down to half speed to analyze and understand every single thing i'm talking about here. i'll occasionally use custom visual examples to explain different scenarios.

also, since i use dpad (it saves .5+ on this track), this guide is more dpad oriented than n-a oriented, but the instructions are generally the same for n-a anyway.

combo: streetle/mach 8, (cyber) slick, any glider

tl;dr use streetle for easier handling and more acceleration on MTs, use mach 8 for more overall speed

generally, streetle is easier and more comfortable to use, and due to its faster acceleration, it outperforms mach 8 on MT sections, for example the first ramps on lap 1 and the multitrick section on lap 2/3. however, mach 8 has a higher top speed than streetle and thus gains more on stretches of the track where acceleration doesn't matter as much and velocity is more important, for example on the first turn laps 2/3 and the waterfall. it's not 100% determined which is faster overall, so they're considered to be the same speed.

on lap 1, streetle shines on the first half of the track, it significantly gains over mach 8 on the MTs and it's easier to bypass the barrel with it. it can gain about .1-.125 depending on how well you drive. however, it becomes slightly slower after the glider, and mach 8 clearly catches up on the waterfall section. they're about even for the lilypads and the boosted trick since there is no definitive advantage for the karts' speed variables here.

on lap 2, after the shroom, mach 8 will be slightly faster on the first turn due to its higher top speed. on the multitrick section, they are even yet again because there is no clear advantage for either kart (the section isn't exclusively MTs, so it doesn't favor streetle; nor exclusively "passive", so it doesn't favor mach 8).

every other part of the track gives no noticeable advantage to either kart and comes down to your execution.

pace information: this track is quite pace-based and this can affect your performance a lot. thankfully there is only 1 element that affects your pace tremendously on this track: the lilypads.

on lap 1, if you are too slow, the pads will be too far apart and you probably won't be able to hit all of them. this commonly happens if your lap 1 is slower than 37.0 and thus you need to become faster in the first half of the lap.

on lap 2,
    if you are too slow, the pads will be too close to each other for you to do the lily MT strat and you will have to do the old lily strat which is significantly slower. if you run into this issue all too often, consider using the 2-1-0 shroomstrat.

on lap 3, if you are on a low 1:46 pace with the 1-1-1 shroomstrat, you're still too slow for the ending lily MT strat. if you run into this issue all too often, consider using the 2-1-0 or 1-2-0 shroomstrat.

however, if you are on a higher pace, from 1:48 to 1:46.7 and using these shroomstrats, the lilypads will be angled in a somewhat straight line. if this happens, repeat the regular lap 1 lilypad strat shown in the WR video at 0:54.

unfortunately i can't really show many visual examples of higher paces because they're not on youtube, and i don't have a capture card to record these runs with. for the sake of this guide, let's assume you can hit something under 1:48.

ideal splits:
    1-1-1: 36.500 / 34.600 / 34.400 = 1:45.500

1-2-0: 36.500 / 34.000 / 35.250 = 1:45.250
    2-1-0: 35.750 / 34.600 / 35.250 = 1:45.650

if you're aiming for a good time on this track and you want to know how you stack up against the standards for this track, here are some splits you should consistently be hitting. the ideal splits *vary* between shroomstrats and they’re *not constant*. 1-2-0 is the fastest, followed by 1-1-1 and 2-1-0. the reason why this is, is because taking the shortcut lap 1 (with 2-1-0) is slower to 1-2-0 due to less momentum entering the shortcut. 1-1-1 and 1-2-0 are about the same speed, it mostly comes down to preference and/or lilypad positioning.

obviously these tend to be subjective, but i think mid 1:45 is quite an easy goal anyone can achieve on this track. compared to the bks, these splits are quite modest:

current bks:
    1-1-1: 35.962 (Alberto) / 34.253 (Tyler) / 33.914 (Poker) = 1:44.129
    1-2-0: 35.962 (Alberto) / 33.425 (Alberto) / 34.511 (Alberto) = 1:43.898
    2-1-0: 35.289 (Tyler) / 34.253 (Tyler) / 34.511 (Alberto) = 1:44.053
    * these might not be 100% accurate, someone please correct me if i'm wrong

with all that out of the way, here's the guide:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lap 1 beginning [0:22 in the WR video]:
    After the startup boost, do two hops, R-L. Then do 4 slides; R-L-R-R and then start a softdrift to the right. Keep softdrifting while collecting the first three coins and then release your smt as soon as you get the third coin. From here, there are 3 ways you can go.

Variation 1 - the Danny strat (saves .150): This is the fastest method of all. Hop in the following pattern: L-L-R-L-R and then slide right onto the ramp. Start a left softdrift off of the ramp and hold it for the entire time until you hit the ground. Once you land, put your pad to the right, release the MT and (soft)slide to the right immediately after. [0:30 in the WR video]

Variation 2 - the Jimmy strat (saves .1-.150): This is slightly slower than the previous method but nonetheless pretty fast and arguably easier. Hop in the following pattern: L-L-R-L-R-L and then hop right onto the wooden ramp, starting a softdrift. Aim for the far left coin and upon landing do a full slide to the left. An example of this strat is shown here.

Variation 3 - tricking: This is the slowest but easiest method to do, however I don't recommend doing this if you struggle to hit good lap 1's because it will just slow you down.

Rather than releasing your SMT as soon as you get the last coin, hold it out for a little bit and then do the following pattern: L-L-R-L-R and then slide left onto the ramp and trick. Upon landing do a softright slide and charge the next MT. An example of this strat is shown here.

Lap 1 MT section [0:33 in the WR video]:
    Assuming you did method #1, let's continue on from here. Start a short softright drift and quickly get the MT. Once you get the MT, put your pad to the left and release the MT with a (soft)slide to the left. After this slide, start your next MT with a softleft input, but quickly transfer to a full right input as otherwise your angle for the next MT will be terrible. Once you get your MT, you will drift softright off of the ramp, but don't hop onto the ramp immediately as this is slightly slower. Instead, wait a little bit and then drift off of the wooden ramp.

Example of the optimal MT:

After that, release the MT and do 3 slides: L-R-R. You should be sliding over the gap ahead of you to save time, but cutting off too much will cause you to fall off. It's better to cut too little than cut too much.

Lap 1 glider [0:40 in the video]:
    Next we will be approaching the glider and bypassing the barrel. This is actually simpler than it looks. After landing your right slide, hold your softright drift. Flick your drift to the left slightly before you pass by the barrel, but go back to softright again as you are passing the barrel. Then, release your SMT at approximately this spot in order to get a low glider. Do a left slide followed by a left hop onto the glider and trick.
    There are several types of gliders you can get and I will rank them in order of how much time they save:
    1. "Super low" trick glider (shown on lap 1 in the WR video)
    2. Normal low trick glider
    3. "Drift low" (low glider where you drift off the ramp and don't get the trick)
    4. Low glider without the trick (the difference is that you hop over the glider instead of drift off of it)
    5. High glider
    Lap 1 waterfall section [0:45 in the WR video]:
    After landing from the glider, land in a softleft drift. Just as you are about to drop off from the circular platform, hold full right for a little bit. This is necessary because it gives us the proper angle for the drift on the railing. Once you reach this certain point on the road, go back to holding softleft again and drift onto the railing.

As you are dismounting the railing, hold right, release your SMT in the air and start a right drift aiming for the 3 coins running down the waterfall. Pretty much directly after collecting these coins, pull your drift wide to the left because otherwise you will leave the water stream and lose some time.

Something that can randomly happen is that you'll get a strange bounce upon landing from the railing. This is called a "railboost" and it saves around .075. Currently the only known factors that influence your chances of getting this are entering the railing slightly wide or releasing your SMT early. Here's an example of what it looks like.

As you're approaching the next ramp (which I call the 2nd waterfall ramp), switch your drift back to softright and go as tight as possible for the rest of the turn. Once you approach the ramp, aim for the far right part of it and chain your SMT into another softright drift off of the ramp. Release your SMT as late as you can.

N-A players can also get a low ramp here, pretty much on any part of the ramp, but the easiest part to trigger a low ramp is in the middle of the ramp, so keep that in mind while TTing. It saves around .050-.075 and it can be done on any lap. Here's an example of what it looks like.

Once you land from this ramp, you want to hold softright for half of the turn while being as tight as possible, but as you approach the final wooden ramp and enter the lilypad section, you should start holding full left in your drift. Aim for the 2nd wooden arrow from the left at the edge of the water stream and hop left out of the final ramp.

Lap 1 lilypads and boosted trick [0:54 in the video]:
    Landing on the lily, do a right hop and go off the boost panel. As you approach the 2nd lily, aim for the edge and airhop left off of it. As you approach the last lilypad, aim for the edge again and airhop right off of it. Then trick off of the pad, land in a very fast left slide, then counterslide to the right, and lastly HOP onto the wooden ramp. The direction of the hop doesn't matter as long as it's in the opposite direction of the previous slide (this means our hop can also be neutral).

Some things to note about the boosted trick:

• it's one of the most deceptive parts of the track. It looks simple but it's very hard and not 100% predictable, so the outcome is slightly different every time. A good boosted trick can gain .3 over a bad one.
    • if you have trouble doing the intended strat, you can instead land the trick, do only one slide and then hop onto the ramp. However this is .125 slower.
    • there are 3 variables that determine how good your boosted trick is: air, speed and angle. Air and speed are self-explanatory (more air and more speed = better trick), but the angle can be challenging to get down if you're new to this technique, especially on lap 1 (it can cause you to miss the next MT), and on lap 3 with the 1-1-1 shroomstrat.
    Land in a softleft drift from the boosted trick and squeeze out your mt as fast as possible. Immediately after that softdrift to the right and get another MT. Hop left out of the MT and use your shroom.

Lap 2/3 shroom + first turn [1:01 in the WR video]:
    Before we enter lap 2, we released our MT in a left hop. After that, we use our shroom and hop quickly in this pattern: R-L-R-L-R-L-R. Then we do 1 right softslide if using dpad, but 2 if using stick.

Next, start a softdrift to the right and stay close to the white line on the edge of the road near the fence. You can flick to the left and adjust your alignment if you're close to hitting the wall.

As you go around the turn and approach the point shown in the pic, start holding full left and prepare for the SMT release. When you reach the point on the picture, do the hop pattern: L-R-L-R-R. Make sure to stay quite close to the white line and and your hops are full input hops. Also make sure to not release your SMT too early or you'll lose about .1-.150.

Also you can get a low trick on this ramp which saves like .050.

Lap 2/3 multitrick section [1:08 in the WR video]:
    Landing from the earlier trick, you can either land in a drift immediately (safer but slower), or land in a softleft slide and then do a new softleft drift. The reason why you would choose the first option is because the landing slide can sometimes give you massive, unmanageable air and kill your run.

In your newly started softleft drift, try to stay wide on the road, because going tight will not do anything, and sometimes even cancel your drift if you touch the inner edge of the road. Eventually, you have to quickly flick your pad to the right in order to manage your alignment.

After that, go back to softdrifting left to get your MT, and then release it early onto the wooden ramp. Start a softright drift immediately and get the MT. Slide full left out of the MT and trick off of the 2nd wooden ramp.

From here, you have 2 options:

Variation 1 - the Danny strat (used in the WR):
    The fastest strat but the most difficult. After your previous left slide + trick, you need to softhop to the right immediately after, trick off the next ramp, land in a left slide, then quickly do a (soft)right slide and start a new softright drift.

In order to get the most out of this strat, there are some things you need to keep in mind. If you are using stick, your softhop onto the last ramp shouldn't be over 45 degrees unless you're starting out wide before the last ramp. Otherwise you could easily fall off, or lose time on your slides. If you are using dpad, you must start a little wider, because your hop will be much sharper and you need to take that into account.

Variation 2 - the Kasper strat: This is the next most reliable strat to use if you can't adapt to the WR strat. After landing from the left slide + trick, immediately softhop to the right and follow it up with a right slide + trick onto the next ramp. Upon landing do a right slide and start a new softdrift to the right.

This loses about .050-.1 to the WR method, however it's a little easier. Example of this is shown here.

Here is a side by side comparison of both strats.

Lap 2/3 lilypads [1:27 in the WR video]:
    *A slight change before approaching the lilypads is that you can hop slightly earlier onto the 2nd waterfall ramp to ensure your SMT will be charged in time.

When reaching the end of the water stream on lap 2, there's a slight change: you don't pull as wide as you did on lap 1. You stay relatively tight and only start holding left toward the very end of the turn, not midway through the turn like on lap 1.

Also, you must do a very fast full left slide AND a left hop out of the ramp, landing onto the lilypad and starting a new softright drift. At this crucial point in the drift, you will have to hold full left a little bit before releasing your MT and airhopping off of the last lilypad.

After the airhop, trick off the lily and perform a boosted trick. If you're doing 1-1-1, slideland from the trick to right, counterslide to the left and hop onto the ramp to the right. If you're doing 1-2-0, do the opposite of this pattern and aim for the shortcut to your left.

Lap 2/3 shortcut [1:32 in the WR video]:

This is actually super simple. Essentially, landing from the trick, use your shroom as late as possible and hop once to the left and once to the right onto the SC ramp. Drift off of it to get an MT. The key to gaining time here is to get as much speed and distance on the ramp drift as possible.

Depending on how good your boosted trick is, you will have a few different options.

• On lap 2, if you land too soon, delay your 2nd hop onto the ramp.
    • On lap 3, if you land too soon, you can either delay your 2nd hop, or do the hop right away and trick on the last ramp. It's not much slower on lap 3 but it's definitely slower by around .150-.2 on lap 2. However if you get lucky, you can get a low trick on lap 2 that isn't much slower than the regular MT strat.
    • On lap 2 if you land too late, you will hop over the ramp. If you hop too high up, restart your run because it loses a lot of time. However if you hop over the ramp and get low air, it's about even to the regular MT strat. It makes your lap 2 split .1 faster than it normally would be though, so bear that in mind after finishing such a lap.
    • On lap 2/3 if you time your 2nd hop correctly, you will get a low drift MT off of the ramp. This is by far the fastest method out of all of these and saves .1-.150.
    Landing from the SC differs in each of these cases, but the hop pattern in the 2nd shroom is identical to lap 1.

The rest of lap 3 is the same as lap 2 except for the ending which I will cover last.

Lap 3 ending [2:01 in the WR video]:
    If you're using 2-1-0 or 1-2-0, do the same thing here as you did on lap 2, maybe approach the lilypads a little tighter. Then when you trick off the last lilypad, slideland quickly to the left, counterslide to the right and do a hop onto the last ramp.

If you're using 1-1-1, copy what the WR does on lap 2, or what N-A WR does on lap 3. It's the same process as I described in the Lap 2/3 Shorcut section, but the lilypads are at a more challenging angle because they're wider apart. However it's possible to do this strat with the 1-1-1 shroomstrat on high 1:45 pace and below, so don't worry about being too slow.

Also, if your angle is too terrible, you can do 2 rapid left slides and hop right onto the ramp (like the N-A WR does).

One thing to note here is that when releasing your MT on the lilypads, you should be angled in such a way that you airhop off of the inner edge of the lilypad. This is slightly faster.

I will also take apart the old ending lilypad strat, but keep in mind this is .2 slower than the WR ending and it's one of the reasons why players prefer the 1-2-0 shroomstrat.

So, instead of exiting the water stream like you did on lap 2, exit it like you would on lap 1. Hold your drift to the left as long as you can and hop out of the ramp at this spot:

Upon landing this hop, do another left hop and go off of the boost pad. Airhop to the right off of the 2nd lily:

And airhop on the inner edge of the last lily here:

Trick off of the lily, slideland to the left, counterslide to the right and hop to the left onto the ramp and complete the SC. Refer to the Lap 2/3 Shortcut section to evaluate your options.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's everything for now, I will update this later with better pictures and more elaborate details, maybe even a visual reorganization.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Blaze likes this.
  19. Mister Wu

Mister Wu

• MKBoards Supporter
    That you're making a thorough track guide for the original Mario Kart 8 on June 10/11, 2018 is a statement in and by itself.
    Props is an understatement.

kerosene likes this.
  20. Alberto #1301_

Alberto #1301_

Sorry I'm quite late, but I wanted to correct

BKS 1-2-0 (by me): 35.915 - 33.425 - 34.511

21. kerosene

kerosene

thanks! and i’ll definitely write more stuff like this in the future, since there are a lot of outdated guides and a lot of advice left to give that i don’t think has been said before. as the game ages and gets gradually improved and pushed down to its limits, more knowledge is discovered not just about the tracks but also about the meta itself and it’s important to document it and collaborate on it. i want to bring value to people who want to try to get good at the game and TTing actively and maybe even become one of the strongest players. i know most people just dismiss it and that’s fine: it’s just there if you ever need it. i just want to post helpful and detailed things so the community can get something out of it