1. We have moved to a new website: https://mariokartboards.com/ This website will be in a read-only state until October 31, 2018. After this date, mkboards will be deleted and it will become a simply redirect to https://mariokartboards.com/

The current state of the website (community), my thoughts.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Plexy, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Plexy

Plexy

Hey guys!

This is going to be a thread with honest opinions from me, and I am pretty sure a lot of people will agree with me. Be prepared to be disagreed with, confused, and possibly enraged, but I am making this from my heart. And my brain. To serve as a warning: do not rage at me, call me names, and think that I am stupid, because these are my thoughts. It is up to you to take them seriously or not. If you are a staff member, it is up to you to make changes based on my thoughts or not. Make sure to read the whole thread to completely understand my points and not misunderstand, misinterpret, or just miss anything.

To start off, the state of the community. This has been an issue long existing, and I honestly have had enough of it, and it seems some other people do to. If you don't know what I am talking about, it's the way people express themselves on the forums, for starters. As an example, if you still don't know what I am talking about, let me bring up a fake-but-likely-to-happen-in-real-life scenario. Let's say someone makes a thread about a topic that some people either don't appreciate, think is dumb, or any other negative thing. The person posts the thread, and the first response they get on the thread is "ok". No punctuation, no explanation, nothing. I even have an actual real-life example. Take a look at this:
    image.jpeg
    See what I mean? Imagine being the person that creates the thread. You think of an idea, post the thread, and wait for the responses. You expect them to be serious, staying on topic, and answering either your question or confirming your statement. Only instead of that you get "ok". How would you feel? Sometimes, it even takes days for some threads to get responses, and they are still not serious. Basically, the community is a bunch of endless banter-producing machines who don't understand people's feelings and can't handle answering questions or statements seriously.

Next, "reputation". What I mean by this vaguely named section is the fact that most things that are done to these forums and this community are based on the reputation of the people who suggest them or do them. Let's say a person that just entered the forums makes a suggestion thread. The thing(s) they suggest might be small, but they still have a very little chance of being done. That is because people don't know that user. Even though the user is kind, serious, and intelligent, the community still will not take him/her seriously, simply because the person's history on the forums has got nothing to say. That is a very big problem. And the only response they get are things like "ok". Also, whenever someone with a lot of reputation does something or says something that they want to change or do, everyone assumes it's the right choice, just because the person has a reputation of being popular on the forums. And those people with high reputations simply overshadow those with more intelligent minds and more creative ideas. Just because a person has shown to do good before, does not mean that they will keep doing good. Now, let's take the opposite of that. Someone who has done some not-good things gives people ideas and suggestions. Practically no one will listen to that person or take that person seriously. If a person has been doing bad before, does not mean that they will stay that way. People change, sometimes drastically.

Next, having too much to your name. Sometimes, what happens is a person with a lot[of good] to their name does something, they get automatic attention. Even if what they say or do is absurd or irrelevant, they still get a lot of other persons who like their posts or actions. And sometimes, people could make too much use of that. They could start using their own power to their own advantage too much by hurting others that are not as popular or well-known. And people who have a lot to their name could do practically nothing in the community or to the community, and they would still not lose their popularity.

Next, the state of the staff. An issue that has annoyed me for a long time on multiple websites. The staff, and how it puts itself in front of absolutely everyone and everything else. People that are known as Admins or Global Admins, or even other staff members might be a lot relevant than other people, just because they are the staff. And if a person becomes a staff member, trust me, that does not mean anything about them. The only thing that will prove good or bad about them is time. "Time will tell". If a person is a staff member, again, they could pretty much explode a whole thread or section. Some threads don't even get popular until a staff member replies to them. That's sad when you thing about it. A person could be putting tons of effort into an idea and putting it into a thread, and that thread will get absolutely nothing. Zero. No recognition. No understanding. Nothing. But if staff member makes a thread, it is suddenly like a global event, and everyone feels the need to respond and get their opinions (or just useless banter) out.

Imagine a person finding about MKBoards.com and realizing that it is the kind of website for them. They go on to the website, and start scrolling and searching through (with or without an account) to see whether the website actually fits them or not. Suddenly, they realize just how much of MKBoards is complete unfriendliness, arrogancy, and discouraging phrases. That scares and/or saddens the person, and they realize that they wasted their time looking over what they thought was a website/community with potential to suit them and their expectations.

Come one guys, be more serious. I am not saying that banter and fun should be restricted, I am just saying that a little more friendliness and acceptance would be nice.

Thank you,

- Plex.

nGamer, Dragon, Eric and 10 others like this.
  2. Ice

Ice

We don't see these threads every day. Sorry to say this man, but this is nothing that plenty of people haven't said before. Also the mod thing is relevant because mods are proven good tournament organizers mostly and if a randy posts a tournament no one will sign up for it and it will likely be run poorly even if signed up for.

merc likes this.
  3. Pyrus

Pyrus

Team:
    xi
    ok

Nolia., Typhoon, MZ and 37 others like this.
  4. Alex E

Alex E

Team:
    savage
    ok

Pyrus and Ice like this.
  5. Vien

Vien

Pyrus likes this.
  6. DarkFlare

DarkFlare

tl;dr (skimmed mostly)

This is the internet, there will always be dicks and there's nothing you (or anyone) can do about it.

Reputation will always be a thing whether you express it or keep it inside of you, if you hear a certain person's name you'll think of all the good things they did.

Don't let stuff bother you.

7. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    Did you just use a year old post as an example

8. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    How about we don't be fucking dickheads, proving the OP's point.

I agree completely with this. Lots of threads go without posts because people don't care about a lot of things. Can't say I'm not a victim either as I know sometimes I look through threads and don't reply. Another thing to note though is that this site isn't nearly as active as say smashboards so there will be stuff unattended to naturally.

Agree with this as well. It's safe to say I'm one of these people that has this "reputation power" but I actually don't like it. I don't feel like I deserve all the things people say about me or that my opinions are always more important than other people. Someone's post count shouldn't determine how valuable their opinion is, a good opinion is a good opinion. It's like real life though, the more people you know, the more benefits you reap and getting w/n already established cliques is really hard.

Cliques have been running the MK scene for a long time, and some are more vocal than others (usually the worst ones) which results in this as well. It also goes the other way though. For example, when I did something really bad in the past, everyone blew it up in my face because I'm usually not seen that way, but when someone who constantly trolls and is a dick does the same exact really bad thing, people would just be like "oh, it's just xxx, don't take them seriously". The fact we've gotten to that point is pretty much a lost cause because there are a lot of (don't wanna use the word cancer but going to) that never get punished for what they do because it's just "them". Some of these labels have been established over 8 years as well so it's not something that will change unless everyone wants it changed which most likely won't happen.

I wouldn't call this a problem on the staff's part. I mean, it's not like any of the staff are like "Oh, like my posts, look at my threads", the users just swarm around them, not the other way around (I honestly haven't paid particular attention / noticed this being a big issue but I'll keep my lookout on that now). As for tournaments, like Pyrus said, there's people that have hosted a lotof tournaments before and know how everything works out. If a "random" posts a tournament (or worse, a tournament code for wifi), the competitive scene just wouldn't be interested in it at all (if it's a tournament code) or skeptical about the tournament not running (has happened way too much). It's a little ignorant on the communities part but I can see why it's like that for tournaments.

Trying to look at it if I was a new member on the site and how I'd feel and I'd probably feel the same way. Just seems like a lot of egos or inside memes / trolls being spammed everywhere and doesn't feel inviting at all.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note, there was a user friendliness thread and people have suggested some ideas so hopefully those would be implemented as well.

Do you have any suggestions to help reduce this real issue?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    nGamer, Eric, Mence and 7 others like this.
  9. Pyrus

Pyrus

Team:
    xi
    Saying the "current" state and then using a year and half old post as an example isn't doing you to much. And yes, I did respond to this thread saying ok as a joke.
    because i think im funny and cool

merc likes this.
  10. Nolia.

Nolia. mach*

Team:
    Battle Alliance
    Then watch out for what you're saying since your comment can be viewed as rude no matter if it is a joke or not

11. Dragmirejr

Dragmirejr Always keep an open mind!

Team:
    Arcadia
    lol, the ways of this community....

git gud or git meme'd

or, if you are really shit as a person, git gud and still git meme'd:feelsbadman:

Klavierdreams likes this.
  12. Sane

Sane

Yeah I remember the days I saw the community like that and was treated like I was an irrelevant waste of time. Once you start getting better lines and better items, don't worry, you won't be unnoticed for long.

Also, in no way do I support the actual bullying on here, but some of that has given me a thicker shell just in general, irl and online.

noah. likes this.
  13. Rain

Rain

Team:
    Star Clan
    just wondering, about the image you posted. What do you expect someone to say?

14. ace

ace lmaO

Team:
    LIJ
    Example is ok but it doesnt mean his point is invalid. Every time a new user to the community who comes across as more of a young casual player gets shat on by people trying to make F tier MK memes for a few forum likes, happens on low tier clan threads in the mkw community 24/7, we've all done it.

Poison, Sane, Ebba and 3 others like this.
  15. Klavierdreams

Klavierdreams Classical Majestically

@Plexy The problem with making threads like this, is, you're just going to embarrass yourself in front of people who lack kindness and common sense. And people aren't going to get angry, so when you warn them not to get angry, they're just gonna laugh.

There will always be shitheads in gaming communities. I hardly know what's going on with the staff or most regular members posting because I'm probably the person that care the least about the community. I (almost) never post in threads because I know how a lot of people are, and I'm not interested in making friends. I am very selective about who I befriend in gaming communities. And I don't care about MK8 clans, either. Because I am one of those who actually understand that a clan tag doesn't make you look cool at all. Well.. I mean, there are two kinds of clan people; those who join clans only for reputation. Then you have those who just seek a clan to make friends. But don't worry about the rude people, they're the kind of people who've forgot there's a reality outside the internet. They're the kind of people you feel sorry for because they're on 24/7 and don't even get out. What once used to be normal to them is no longer normal; they're so deep into the web that it's become normal to them. And days goes by, and they don't even notice how they waste their life. I'm glad I don't waste much time on gaming communities and rather waste most of my precious time on music, my biggest passion! :)

You have a point there, Pyrus. Using a year and a half old post as an example is irrelevant. But you managed to contradict yourself in the same post proving that it's still relevant. You could say, in a sense, using a year and a half old post as an example is irrelevant, and it WOULD be irrelevant today if you just didn't prove in the same post that you still have the same shitty attitude. GGs, I guess!

Now I don't know you at all, but I've seen you post before, and you do seem very intelligent and mature. The community need more people with a reputation like you who actually post maturely and serious when needed. There's a time and place for everything; there are those who know when to be serious and when to joke and those who don't.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    WolfenSage, nGamer, Ridge and 3 others like this.
  16. AbaraiK

AbaraiK The Irish Mark Staff Member

• Administrator
    Team:
    Arc
    While I think most of your post is fine and we are cracking down on people belittling newcomers, this I don't understand at all.

Are you actually complaining that if the staff makes an announcement thread it gets more replies than a brand new user? I'm all for listening to ideas from new people to the community but I've been here since 2009. I've worked in several staff groups through different sites, currently on 3 staff teams right now and I'd like to think people might have come to respect the work I've put in and hopefully respond to any ideas I have. Becoming a staff member does mean something. It means you've worked hard or shown promise to better this community and have stuck it out for the long haul. When I first tried to join staff in 2010 on Wcl, my posts got hardly any attention, but I stuck at it and here I am today 1 of the admins for this site. Determination and not giving up is an important part of life and not being disheartened when you don't get the attention you think you deserve.

I'll give an irl example of what you're referring to, Say a local student spends months working on a paper about the economy and how to better it, they get some recognition from those around them, grand. Then Donald Trump or Clinton comes out and talks about the economy and even a 1 off comment is national news. Now they probably did less research on the topic then that student, but ofc there opinion will carry more weight. That's life and if you think that is a harsh way then you're probably right but thats how the world works.

We take all ideas from new/old people into consideration and decide on them individually. Even last week we had a conversation about new sections and we added them on your recommendation. Now did I judge you because you had 54 posts on the site (less then)? No I didn't. I thought it was a good idea and we implemented it when we got the chance.

I can assure you from the pov of the staff that we consider everyone's opinion equal and we look into any ideas in detail.

nGamer, MZ, Rookie and 2 others like this.
  17. Umbre

Umbre

The community has never accepted new and unknown people, it's pretty much never changed.

If someone wants to be a part of the community, they kind of have to force themselves into it and show they're either good or have a cool demeanor; usually, be good. People pretty much only want to stick with their group of friends, rarely taking anyone else in.

Eric, Mence, Doodle and 1 other person like this.
  18. Klavierdreams

I've never really had any problem with anyone in this community. Maybe because I too have been in the community since 2009 (allthough most people today don't know because they are newer and act like others are newer than themselves without knowing that they could be older members than themselves and treat them like shit). But maybe that's because I hardly post, or care about the community. But I've seen people being made fun of by those sad people who are so lost in the web that they don't realise themselves how sad lives they live.

19. Ebba

Ebba My Funny Valentine

Team:
    Х2
    The example isn't really invalid when that kind of post is still seen around by the same like fishing people lol

Klavierdreams likes this.
  20. Pyrus

Pyrus

Team:
    xi
    I was fully aware of the contradiction and irony in the post before I posted that. You seem to understand that I was indeed fishing for likes. But that post doesn't mean I won't post my actual thoughts on thread later on. I'm not trying to get a big argument going and would rather just say "My bad, lets just move on to the serious post."

21. Klavierdreams

And funnily, Pyrus who called it irrelevant (today), contradicted himself in the same post by showing that he still have the same shitty attitude. As long as people still act the same way they did a year and a half ago, it's still relevant!

WolfenSage, Elpis and Ebba like this.
  22. Ebba

Ebba My Funny Valentine

Team:
    Х2
    Why not just stop trying to be funny for once

WolfenSage, Mence, iDaylon and 9 others like this.
  23. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

how about I clear this up by saying I was the one who suggested Pyrus should post "ok" because I knew it'd be funny considering the example in the OP

24. Klavierdreams

Fully aware, yet you prove that you still haven't changed?

And by "actual thoughts", do you mean, like being serious for once? You see, it's not going to be so easy to be taken serious in a post later on when you were joking in your first post. But thanks for saying you're not trying to get a big argument? I guess that means I can walk away in peace after this post without getting further replies from you and get away being the last to post? Well, I mean, you can reply back, if you in any way don't like my post at all. But then you're doing the opposite of what you said; not wanting to get a big argument going? The choice is yours; you can go ahead and contradict yourself again if you like. But I, for one, stick to my word and end it here, just like you also said you'd end it here. That is if you can resist replying. But that doesn't mean I'm going to further reply. ;)

WolfenSage, Elpis and Ebba like this.
  25. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    I'll have to stop you right there.

1. "People scare others away" no they don't, people don't get involved after making an introduction thread, so it's nobody elses fault but theirs.

2. "Never accepted new and unknown people" wrong, People that were new and unknown stay unknown because they make no effort to be known, and just stay an outsider without making any effort to be a part of the community. And a few "unknowns" like Alex (xi), Doodle, and to an extent megan the ex-TT hacker, have gotten themselves involved with people and are where they are today. Why? Not because "they were good" because at the time everyone was shit.

What i'm trying to say is that people don't get "rejected" from the community, they simply make no effort to even be accepted in the first place, yet people still throw around comments like "omg and this is why the community will never grow" and "And you wonder why we're a dead community"

People need to stfu w/ those comments because after trying to get new people involved and watching them just disappear away from the community within a week isn't my fault, it's that most new people aren't dedicating their lives to just solely MK like a large amount of this forum is.

3. "People only want to stick with their group of friends , rarely taking anyone else in" I don't see anything wrong with this when my main friend group hasn't changed in almost 5 years now. Even if I want to include some of my newer friends into that group, I wouldn't simply because there is a different kind of connection between my friend group that doesn't MK and my friend group thats in my clan