1. We have moved to a new website: https://mariokartboards.com/ This website will be in a read-only state until October 31, 2018. After this date, mkboards will be deleted and it will become a simply redirect to https://mariokartboards.com/

Staff Applications Open and Other Updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Stunky, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member

• Administrator
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    Hey there everyone, we’ve got quite a few things to announce and so this thread should hopefully cover them.

Staff Stepping Down
    It’s with great regret that I have to announce that Tylerr is going to be stepping down from his roles. Quite a few of you have seen him around the forums, and I’m sure you all know what he’s done around the place, however due to situations in his life now taking up a significant amount of his time, he has decided to step down.

I’d like to, on behalf of the moderation team, wish him the best of luck in whatever the future holds.

Staff Applications Open
    We’re getting towards the festive season and that alongside the stepping down of a staff member, has meant that we are now looking for moderators. Applications during this process can be for players who main any game, we’re not looking for game-specific roles here.

We do not have a specific number of positions during this particular application process, however the application process will last 2 weeks.

That means that the deadline for applications will be: Saturday, 4th November at 12pm EDT/4pm GMT

Just as a word of warning, we’ll be performing any form of interviews during the 2 week process. We’d like to ensure as minimal downtime/issue as possible, and so wish to have a rather quick and efficient process. So yeah, if you’re applying, don’t magically go MIA on us for the 2 weeks or you may risk missing out on the process.

We intend to bring the moderators in, and likely announce them, shortly after the deadline hits and staff have been able to perform their votes.

If you’re looking to apply, please do so in the MKBoards Staff Applications section. If you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to ask staff either directly, or within this thread. Obviously we'll be moderating both this thread and the application area though, so no troll apps or "I want to be mod that's all" ones please. :p

Spam-bots, and the action they’ve caused
    For those of you who may not be aware, the site has, for the last few months, been the victim of some spambots. We’ve been trying to perform actions to minimise the issues, however despite these efforts the spambots have still been posting.

It’s a strange situation because these “bots” have been getting through a range of CAPTCHA methods, and have also inputted values that would suggest that they’re human-operated at some point in the process. Regardless as to whether or not that’s the case, we’re still looking for potential solutions or ways to detect them quicker, and will be actively trying to find solutions until this issue is resolved.

One method that we have recently put in is unlikely to affect users currently, but may affect them in the future, and that is the banning of certain troublesome email providing domains. There are a range of “fake email generators” and “disposable email” providers that a majority of these bots have been using to make accounts, and thus we have decided to ban these providers. I won’t submit a full list in case for security issues (you never know, maybe a list of banned providers will help people make alts undetected, make bots easier etc.) but just be aware that if you have friends signing up and they’re having issues (like their account is being rejected), tell them to try changing email address and seeing if it works.

If this change ever means that we have to take action on accounts currently registered, the site staff will send a letter to the inbox of all accounts using these providers, however that’s something that currently we do not need to consider.

Summary/TL;DR
    - Tylerr is stepping down from his moderator role.
    - We are now looking for more moderators, not looking for game-specific staff.
    - Deadline for these applications is Saturday, 4th November at 12pm EDT/4pm GMT
    - We’ve started banning some certain troublesome email providers in an attempt to lower the number of spambots.
    - If any further issues happen based upon email providers and/or spambots, we’ll let you know.

Thanks for reading, hope you all have a great weekend, and, on behalf of the site staff, I’d like to wish all who apply good luck in the process!

Fruitz, m, Sketch and 5 others like this.
  2. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    hhqe likes this.
  3. Futile

Futile

Team:
    Mo // znκ
    Are the bots the reason for the random threads in the introduction section posting who knows what? I've seen a couple of the same type of thread with irrelevant information

4. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member

• Administrator
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    Yeah, what seems to be happening is that they're signing up to attack certain parts of the site and post content in them.

They successfully do things like Email Verification though, which means we can't just have an easy solution like "ban everyone from posting if their emails aren't verified". There's a very loose pattern with email domains, we've had to ban quite a few domains but others keep popping up. We'll be looking potentially in to installing a free add-on that's basically a list of like 1000 known "disposable email" and "spam email" domains, but... we'll have to see if that works, or if the domains that keep popping up are literally made and hidden for some time. We probably won't be able to stop all spam with free materials though (given that Gmail and Outlook are used by some bot accounts), so if further issues occur we'll have to go back to the drawing board, maybe make it so that every account requires an administrator to verify it when it signs up or something to that level of strictness.

Futile likes this.
  5. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

finally, we're free of @tylerr 's absolute TYRANY. can you believe what he did on Yn thread that one time? smh.

tylerr likes this.
  6. Tyler

Tyler May I have this valse?

Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    Didn't laugh one bit at this post, I'm going to have to write you up.

7. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    Thanks for looking out for us

8. rcs

rcs ResidentSleeper

Team:
    Va
    Was about to write you a ticket, but my co-worker beat me to it. I'll let you off with a warning.

9. Tyler

Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    Don't back talk me, boy. I can write you up too.

Crowe, Hikaru and Simon. like this.
  10. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

very cool and urban posts

11. tylerr

tylerr

@Tyler @rcs

thank you for defending me, it hasn't been the easiest knowing harm said what he did...

12. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

tylerr likes this.
  13. Tyler

Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    @tylerr @Harm The posts on this thread are getting less and less humorous as the day rolls on. I'm going to have to write up both of you gentlemen if your actions do not cease immediately.

14. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

xSpade24 likes this.
  15. Val~

Val~ さようなら

• Banned
    Team:
    hmu pls
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0177 8013 1155
    Make me moderator please!

Teeples likes this.
  16. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199

(godly sig tbh)

Murabito, MZ, Jake and 3 others like this.
  17. Val~

Val~ さようなら

• Banned
    Team:
    hmu pls
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0177 8013 1155
    lol ty, hmu with a fw trial

18. inviso

inviso

Why do you guys struggle to hold mods so much. Feels like there's staff apps every time I log in...like every 2 months.

Eric likes this.
  19. AbaraiK

AbaraiK The Irish Mark Staff Member

• Administrator
    Team:
    Arc
    On average its every 4 months.

20. Din

Din

Team:
    DY 8 | ᴍ¢ 8D
    Switch FC:
    2642-6673-8119
    oh man, I could write a novel.

21. Tyler

Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    "Once upon a time I was a part of the MKBoards staff team. They didn't share the same ideals as me so I left. The end."

plynq, Futile, Kneekoe and 4 others like this.
  22. Jake

Jake I love Meganium

Team:
    Black & White

Dragmirejr, xSpade24 and Tyler like this.
  23. Markness

Markness Х Staff Member

• Administrator
    Team:
    Đ¥
    Time for me to step up and rejoin the Moderating Squad.

Nitro86382, TGKiltron and AbaraiK like this.