1. For the foreseeable future, this website will be in a read-only state. Please visit https://mariokartboards.com/ for our new domain.

Site is too slow

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Banana, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Banana

Banana

Please upgrade to a server that isn't run by a hamster on a wheel.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what browser or what my connection speed is. It seems that no matter what I try, this site always loads slowly and images are always broken. Sometimes this site doesn't load at all, it just crashes and gives an error message. It's getting old.

Boom likes this.
  2. cody☁

cody☁

#buildthatwall

3. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    You can donate to update the server here!

They probably understand your frustration, Banana, but its ok it'll peel away slowly over time and you won't even realize it

Typhoon, talia and Sketch like this.
  4. sleep deprived

sleep deprived the end

upload_2017-6-26_1-48-36.png

the irony

Typhoon, TK64, Libby and 1 other person like this.
  5. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

users: fix the h****g issue
    users: bring back the stream tab
    users: better server please, tired of errors and slow loading

admins: here's our new article section
    admins: we need flame runner orbiting earth
    admins: how about post bookmarking

Papa Milo, EchoKM, Typhoon and 9 others like this.
  6. Banana

Banana

It's not our job to update the servers for you. Regular users (I'm talking about non-mods/non-admin) should not have to shell out money just to improve a site.

Boom likes this.
  7. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    You sound like a customer that wants an expensive pair of headphones but wants to pay the same as a throwaway airplane earphone

Like try and process this

Jade likes this.
  8. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

Almost every forum I've visited (especially gaming ones) has a donate button with a description that includes "money goes towards server costs/upgrades" but ok werk

edit: its harder for us especially since we're a community that isn't sponsored or anything so literally every money related thing comes out of the community's pocket (including the staff... who are part of the community) but it would be nice to not have database errors

--

edit2: brainstorming ways to possibly make more money to go towards the site rather than add shit no one will care about/use is basically what i'm trying to say before anyone tries to drag me for my 2 posts seemingly contradicting each other

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Tzuzu likes this.
  9. MasterMarkxat

MasterMarkxat

Team:
    GAMT/Vitality
  10. Banana

Banana

GG MKBoards. GG.

Boom likes this.
  11. AbaraiK

AbaraiK The Irish Mark Staff Member

• Administrator
    Team:
    Arc
    @Banana

If you want to shell out the extra few hundred dollars for a better server, be my guest.

I appreciate the site can get slow on busy days, but labeling a thread "Site is slow" with an entitled attitude isn't the place to start, as Nato mentioned maybe actually try and help the site instead of making threads such as this.

And its not regular users jobs to pay for the site? Ye it isn't, you know whos job it also isn't, staff. Now I paid out a hefty chunk of the last xenforo switch as did the other admins because we care about the site, but this isn't a job for me. I make 0 money of MKB. I don't have the money to buy new servers and buy all these upgrades, trust me I wish I did but paying for a Masters and moving cities isn't cheap.

Now to address @Harm s point.

A - Hav*ing was an issue with Xenforo when we switched over where 1 file in the massive amount of files we have is corrupted and without locating it we cant fix the issue, now I have a very limited knowledge of this sort of stuff so Beto or another admin is your best bet.

B - Stream tab - There was issues getting this to work aswell on the site (hence why it was taken down in the first place) which I don't think have been resolved.

C - See 1st paragraph.

In terms of the add-ons like bookmarks or articles, they were free add on's we thought might be nice for the site. If no one cares we can remove them.

We did add a donate button incase people wanted to help out, we did also suggest t-shirts and other stuff, so trust me we are trying to make more money for the site.

Harm, Hope and Sketch like this.
  12. Chéron

Chéron

You're getting this service for free, be grateful.

Typhoon, Quinten and Cringy like this.
  13. Lulumon

Lulumon (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧

Team:
    Charged Brigade
    It's summer and maybe everyone should consider opening a lemonade stand, to get enough money to send mkb to an ultra server with magical flying unicorns

Harm, Simon. and ~Maidvelia❤~ like this.
  14. Banana

Banana

And yet there are several other free sites out there that are nowhere near as slow as this one. What's this site's excuse?

Boom likes this.
  15. Simon.

Simon.

Our community is, most likely, significantly smaller than theirs.

16. Banana

Banana

That makes no sense though. If it's smaller, shouldn't it be faster?

Boom likes this.
  17. Simon.

Simon.

I don't know whether the size of the community correlates to the cost of the server. All I know is, less people in the community results in less people giving donations.

Chéron likes this.
  18. Banana

Banana

I thought this community was fairly big? :/

Anyway, I see the little message at the top concerning themes. Yeah, because that's more important than server stability. Jfc.

Boom likes this.
  19. Hope

Hope Laughter

Team:
    ARC
    You're right banana, they shouldn't fix ANYTHING until they find the money to make the servers more stable. In fact, they shouldn't even run the site!!!!!

20. Ember

Ember

Team:
    xd
    How much do you exactly need for the new server? curiosity

21. PhoenixRiku

PhoenixRiku

Out of curiousity what are your server specs, also who is your provider? Could be of assistance.

22. Beckett

Beckett Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Jade likes this.
  23. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member

• Administrator
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    One thing I'd say before I go in to responding on the few questions/points I can, is that we're lucky to have servers at all - had it not been for things done by Beto, we may not have a site at all nowadays, we may have been in a bigger mess/issue than we are currently. I know a lot of people are wanting us to try to find money to upgrade, but I'd ask that we appreciate how we wouldn't have anything at all if things went another way towards the start of the year.

Obviously it's in all of our intentions to somehow find a revenue stream that allows us to afford these potential upgrades if they do end up required, but before everyone points fingers towards staff, we all have to realise that many in the staff are still students and volunteers, nobody's paid to do the work they do on this website, and many aren't on high income (if any at all) outside of the community. It's easy to say that staff should donate more, but this isn't the kind of community where staff are loaded with money, this isn't a "pay your way to the top" kind of place - this is a website that's been supported by contributions and community support, and if it just so happens that this is all we can do with what we currently have, we need to be grateful that we have contributions at all, instead of demanding that people throw in money they may not be able to.

I'd like to thank anyone who is a supporter or who has donated to the website in the past, because without these kinds of people, trust me when I say we could be in a much worse place. I have the utmost respect for anybody who volunteers their time, efforts, money, or anything whatsoever that has allowed us to remain a community for as long as we have done, because without all these voluntary staff members, all these contributions etc. we would have near to nothing.

The issue with themes is presumed to be through an issue on the server, potentially about memory. Even the admins who're trying to update/change themes are getting issues on the control panel when trying. It's something that's being looked in to, but obviously you need to fix issues like this before you can tackle the wider problem. We'd love to look in to being able to fund an upgrade or whatever if we could, but things like themes not working may only get worse if they're not fixed prior to other issues being looked at.

It's like some injuries, if you don't tackle the smaller stuff, it ends up getting infected and it's those complications that can cause more damage sometimes than the original issue.

The upgrade would (overall) cost around €220 according to Beto (total, that's not on top of what we're currently paying I don't believe), but I'm sure he'd be able to give exact details. We're not sure of how much exactly we'd need (when considering potential incomes from adverts and other stuff), but it's almost double what we're currently paying off the top of my head (I'm sure another will confirm or deny if needed).

Again, there's a notice on the website in relation to this, it's something we believe may be related to other issues, we'll be looking to fix these kinds of things but please bear with us while these issues are coming up. We actually also had a problem where all icons showed as squares a week or two ago, this is likely a similar situation but it requires time to look in to so as the actual cause of the issues can be looked in to, and no further issues are caused.

nGamer likes this.
  24. Banana

Banana

I have Hughes Net. It used to be CenturyLink, but we switched about a week or two ago and it's faster than before.

I have an Asus laptop with Windows 10, 64 bit OS.
    Processor: Intel Core i5-62000 CPU @ 2.30 GHz - 2.40 GHz. Installed RAM is 12 GB.

This according to the basic information screen. Hopefully that answers your question.

Boom likes this.
  25. Chéron

Chéron

Correct me if im wrong, but i doubt that it was what he asked for.

EchoKM, Typhoon and Quinten like this.