1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice

Rule Changes, Reminders, and what to look forward to in 2018.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Stunky, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member WL Staff World Cup Staff

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    • World Cup Staff
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    Hello there everyone, I hope you had a happy holidays (regardless of what you celebrate, if anything) and also that you’ll have a happy set of New Year celebrations too if you’ve got any of those to go to. The site staff have been working on a few things, and have now recently had a meeting to be able to create a few changes. We won’t make a huge list because some of the changes won’t be coming in to place for some time, however the following are some key ones that will be affecting people from this point on.

Changes to the Site Rules
    As you may or may not know, there have recently been a few requests and cases in relation to site rules needing changing. Therefore, with instant effects, we have added/changed the following items:
    - We have defined “Graphic Content” in further detail within the rules, section 7D, to allow for further understanding on what site staff deem to be appropriate content, and what would immediately result in staff reviewing for a potential indefinite ban.
    - Addition of “All appeals and significant rule changes have the ability to be overturned by a 2/3 majority vote within the current MKBoards staff team.” to reiterate how most changes are passed through the site staff.
    - We have defined some further examples on the kinds of alts/actions from an alt that would be considered an immediate indefinite ban. We have recently seen an increase in people attempting to alt, and thus we would like to reiterate that it is definitely punishable, whether the alt is detected via our current systems, or via checking from other resources (such as that of Wiimmfi Moderators, who we again would like to thank for cooperation in some recent cases).
    - We’ve fixed a few links that weren’t working on the original ruleset.

Please ensure that you’ve read these updated rules at http://www.forums.mkboards.com/help/terms, because whereas it may not seem like there is significant difference in some areas, some of these clarifications on matters would most certainly mean that some of the borderline content in the past may, in the future, fall as punishable.

Reiterations/Clarifications of some matters
    - We have now revived our support email, support@mkboards.com , so please feel free to send emails to that email if you feel you need to.
    - We would also like to reiterate that off-site offenses, whereas not as punished by the MKBoards Staff, will still be punished in severe enough cases. We’ve recently had a few cases where people could quite easily be punished, and we’d like to make it clear that we will not tolerate serious rule violations off-site if we deem them punishable from the standards and rules we have set. We have a responsibility, as a site, to ensure that community behaviour is at a respectable level, and so we must ensure that off-site offenses are still looked in to when serious enough.

Things to look out for
    We’ve got quite a lot planned for 2018, including some of the following things that we have drafted out and/or are in the works. Please look out for them, and ensure to make full use of them when possible:
    - Team identity immunity for teams that have played for a significant time. This will likely be implemented in to each game’s clan guidelines soon.
    - Forum inactivity leading to a name being up for grabs. We’ve had it before, but now want to make it an official rule.
    - More transparency on some controversial decisions in the future based upon recent cases causing more drama than may have potentially been caused if we had a place to publicly explain reasonings and/or have fair debates with people.
    - Many of the standard FFAs are coming back for 2018, along with (potentially) an event to mark the 10 year anniversary of Mario Kart Wii.
    - The Mario Kart World Cup will be returning in 2018 due to popular demand, so the recruitment process and national teams sections will be going up in the near future to allow for fair event preparation.
    - Potential new ways to represent league standings, being developed currently by Beto. Wiimmfi League may see this change as early as Season 12 if implemented and tested in time.
    - A lot of other changes have been mentioned/discussed, but aren’t yet things we can confirm particularly. We’ll keep people up to date with announcements if any major things are happening.

So I think that’s it for now, please feel free to make any further suggestions either in this thread or in the suggestions section. Thanks for taking the time to read this announcement, Happy New Year, here’s to an even better 2018.

Aditya~, BoomerZBear, Rush and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff

Jeff I'm not cocky, I'm just confident

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • Banned
    stopped reading here

Simon., Suip, Nolia. and 4 others like this.
  3. Rookie

Rookie

• Founding Member
    Team:
    HD
    I think you need to wait until at least April to open up wc team threads sections cuz people will jump on it the second you make them and they won't even be reflective of who is doing well at that time I believe, and itll be awkward when some people make team threads before other people just cuz they want to handpick their team and obtain leadership first when it may not be for the best. A staff should select captains/leadership imo. Its ok to announce now but no need to put a section up when matches aren't being played for half a year (unless youre planning a different time)

BoomerZBear and Jonesy :) like this.
  4. Pyrus

Pyrus MKU Staff

• MKU Staff
    Team:
    xi
    BE12FB71-E306-4D8A-8F1A-EE6E31983A8B.jpeg
    5D4C4A25-8A7E-4099-AA7B-A1E5C07BC28C.jpeg E9B20570-1E6D-4B8C-BDF9-BE90E46481E8.jpeg

Kay, Simon., Shahzad/Toad and 13 others like this.
  5. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    CAN buster in another WC.

John S and Articuno like this.
  6. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月 MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    - Team identity immunity for teams that have played for a significant time. This will likely be implemented in to each game’s clan guidelines soon.

fuck thanks bro

7. shiiguy

shiiguy MKU Staff World Cup Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    • World Cup Staff
    Team:
    Aurora
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ Red Like Roses WL Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    HD☆, U★, GE
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    Usernames or team names?

9. AbaraiK

AbaraiK The Irish Mark Staff Member

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Arc
    User, team names is the immunity point above it

~Maidvelia❤~ likes this.
  10. inviso

inviso

• Founding Member
    I told you I was gonna push for a rule like that to be implemented. I wasn't lying.

Dragmirejr likes this.
  11. ace

ace lmaO

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    LIJ
    look forward to me in 2018

12. shiiguy

shiiguy MKU Staff World Cup Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • MKU Staff
    • World Cup Staff
    Team:
    Aurora
    team's dead now anyway

13. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月 MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
    yeah you showed him LOL

Skitty and shiiguy like this.
  14. Tyler

Tyler May I have this valse?

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)

Espurr_72, Kay, Simon. and 14 others like this.
  15. Nolia.

Nolia. mach*

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Battle Alliance
    I don't think anyone is interested in world cup after the bullshit happened in 2017

16. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    there shouldn't be a (possibly) noted for an MKW 10th Anniversary event, y'all celebrate Wiimmfi every year so there's no reason not to celebrate an actual milestone

also let WC die

Jeff likes this.
  17. Kneekoe

Kneekoe WL Staff

• Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    everyone kinda already got the point across in terms of wc (mkw anyway) but

not that i know what the mk8 side of things are but i severely doubt that people look forward to wc that much
    and i imagine it was people who were merely watching via streams instead of the people who were actually selected for teams/played in wc
    ger and bnl are teams that come to mind right away considering what went down in those teams respectively, especially in bnl
    i can see how some teams might still gather after all but it's not worth the effort to put so much stock into something like wc when even the additional event after (na vs eur) was organised much better so idk

i won't fill the gaps @ger, bnl here since otherwise this becomes much longer than i want it to be

SML, Viraith, rcs and 2 others like this.
  18. PhoenixRiku

PhoenixRiku

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Yeah not sure where the due to popular demand came from, you can be honest and say you would like WC to return due to activity boosts and viewership from streams. But considering I have heard no one talking about wanting it to come back before this was announced and after it was announced people poking fun at it. From the MKW side, not in any MK8D servers.

Kneekoe and iDaylon like this.
  19. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ Red Like Roses WL Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    Team:
    HD☆, U★, GE
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    So it's the fault of the entire MKW WC event instead of some conflict with Mae (BNL) and USA being troublesome with reschedules to get optimal LUs (GER).

Riiight. Come off it.

Good changes btw, here's to 2018.

Aditya~ likes this.
  20. Jeff

Jeff I'm not cocky, I'm just confident

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • Banned
    doesnt change anything about the fact that pretty much nobody wants to play it, let it die for good

Kneekoe, Viraith and rcs like this.
  21. Viraith

Viraith WL Staff

• Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    there is still very little interest in wc and until staff shows where this popular demand is coming from i don't see why mkboards would host another one

wouldn't take it personal @mkb staff, just think that the event is old and people would rather play something new like the NA vs EUR event (think that had a lot of success correct me if i am wrong)

rcs, Kneekoe and Jeff like this.
  22. Nolia.

Nolia. mach*

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Battle Alliance
    only thing i have interested to see is WOR vs JPN (& WOR2 & JPN2), i would love to see that again but ye mkb do not host that

23. inviso

inviso

• Founding Member
    Comments like this aren't necessary.

24. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member WL Staff World Cup Staff

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    • World Cup Staff
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    NA vs EU is also in the planned schedule, just it's considered a part of the MKWC after party effectively. Don't worry though, we know of the demand for that event.

I'd also say that MKWC is looking to fix some of the issues we had spotted from 2017. It might sound cliché to ask for another chance, but obviously when there's a new set of staff and a new leader, there is an obvious opportunity to breathe new life in to event that had quite some interest (admittedly some of the interest was from viewers, however we know of some specific few from both MK8DX and MKWii who have already requested to know whether the event is happening through interest).

If all the changes lead to poor reviews again after this year then we can look and consider whether or not it's viable, however (whereas there were some unsuccessful areas) there was still enough success and interest to attempt to revive and fix the event, so that's what myself (as the new lead organiser of the event) and any selected staff (once applications are open) will be working on. Quite a few of the issues were ones simply caused by miscommunication or oversights (not blaming staff during in the 2017 event at all, however we have to admit that mistakes were made at times), and thus it's felt that there's definitely a reasonable opportunity to improve the event.

Agger likes this.
  25. Rookie

Rookie

• Founding Member
    Team:
    HD
    Maybe I'm biased, but I think the World Cup was ran relatively well last year, and I think that most people not wanting to have it come back just aren't a fan of the event to begin with, which is understandable. I really don't know what could have been done to improve it, other than potentially better stream production at times. On the MK8 end, we had little to no problems getting every match played. I don't think the final for MKW not getting played was on us. Scheduling the MKW side of events was a bit tougher, and some of the requests teams made just couldn't be realistically done while maintaining a smooth tournament, even throwing stream production out the window to get things done.

Regardless, I think it's fair if people don't want to play the event again. I think for the most part on the MK8 end most people enjoyed the event, other than a few, but as we've learned in the past this should be a side event and not the main focus of the website while it is running. It often tends to feel more like a major event since the stream often brings both ends of the community (slightly) together but we don't need WC to keep running the site, but we do need stuff like WL and MKU. It's why I wanted it to be more of a side event last year.

Like mentioned earlier, we don't need a section up until April or May if the event is ran. It's not that big of a deal and it doesn't need to be started in January. Perhaps it'd be better to run events for the games separately. I can confirm that having both games running at the same time can make things more stressful than it needs to be (and take longer / bottleneck the other game), and if WL Playoffs overlap with the event, scheduling hell just breaks lose.

Teeples, Owen, shiiguy and 2 others like this.