so I've been looking into the recent problems with the site, and... well, I don't think it's anything that I can actually fix. the short version is that the database is refusing connections due to a setting that I can't actually change (because it's on the host's end of the server configuration), which in turn is based on the fact that we moved back to a smaller server so that I could actually afford to keep the site running. I've tried everything I did before to fix it and nothing's worked; only things that I can really do at this point are beef up the infrastructure (not happening) or try reinstalling xenforo (which requires me buying a new licence, which is also not happening). that having been said, this part of the config shouldn't even be triggered under normal circumstances, so it's probably caused by bugs in the server code brought about by some of the addons that were installed over the years. I am not, however, debugging thousands of lines of undocumented php code with no error logs or source control. best case is I can get a new host sorted out, though I'm not convinced that's a good use of my time. worst case the site's going offline next payment cycle (which iirc is mid-january) and I'll give a backup of the db to anyone who makes a replacement and is willing to actually do something about cleaning up the community. incidentally, I'm pretty sure that if anyone wanted to take this site off my hands, doing so with a copy of the current messages and a fresh install of xenforo would be far more sane than trying to fix this shitty codebase we currently have. for now I've disabled supporter (because the database is killing that too) and manually given supporter to the people who bought it since it started acting up.