1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice

MK8 Battle mode guide

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Faith, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Faith

Faith 巡音ルカ CV03 ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

• Banned

Each battle is 3 minutes long. To win, you need to score the most points. If you lose a balloon, you lose a point. Each player starts with 3 balloons. If you pop another players balloon, you gain a point. If you hit a player with a star or mushroom, you gain 2 points + an extra balloon. If you get triple hit, you will lose the game with 0 points.

MK8's battle mode has some significant changes in comparison to MKW's, they are:

★ A player may only hold one item at a time.

★ Once you have lost all your balloons, you can still attack other people as a "ghost".

★ There is no coin runners mode in MK8.

★ There are no teams

★ As mentioned earlier, there are no battle arenas, but race tracks adjusted for battle mode with very slight (if any) changes.

***** Still being edited *****
    There are 8 battle tracks in MK8 battle mode. Each track has specific techniques, that can be used to your advantage. The tracks are:

Click the spoilers to view detailed info on each track.

Wii Moo Moo Meadows:

GCN Dry Dry Desert

SNES Donut Plains 3

N64 Toad's Turnpike

Mario Circuit

Toad Harbor

GCN Sherbet Land

This track feels like the biggest, tied with N64 Yoshi Valley. I love all ice/snow tracks aesthetically, but I don't like this track for battle mode. t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶s̶e̶c̶o̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶.̶.̶.̶

This tunnel is death. The low traction makes you slide around, and by the time you get your bearings you`re smacked with a shell. It`s best not to camp out here, if you get a powerful item it`s smart to drive though here and shoot at whoever you can.

Try not to go into the water, you aren`t likely to find players there. Don`t worry about the jellies, they do nothing.

Don`t hit the shy guys

Hidden glider section, good for sniping from the air and running from ghosts.

Oh no
    Don`t hit the icebergs

Going through this hole to the boost pad at the other side can be a good hiding spot, and a place to snipe people in the tunnel. Just don`t camp here too long, the ghosts will get you.

N64 Yoshi Valley
    edit

Items are crucial in battle mode. You can't score points without them. At the start of a battle, you can only pull the following items from an item box:

Triple green shells are very deadly in battle mode. They can be used many different ways, such as ramming into people, spamming all three at one target, triple hitting the person adjacent from you to score an instant +3. If you see triple green shells at the start of a battle, run. They will hit you, unless you also pulled triple greens. You can't pierce their barrier with a single shell or a banana.

Single shells are pretty easy to use. Their hitbox is far bigger compared to previous games; therefore making them more likely to hit your target. Some good strategies for green shells are shooting straight at an opposing player, shooting at/through an item box, banking them off a wall, or backspamming. All of these aren't too difficult to perform.

Examples:

Bananas are terrible. Banana sniping, as difficult and impressive as it may be, is a terrible idea if you're not a ghost. Chances are the opposing player has a shell. If your snipe misses, its a free shot for them. If you do pull a banana, it's smartest to drop it off near an item box.

I don't think I need to explain how overpowered bombs are... Just make sure not to drag it behind you, or throw it at someone who is driving away, it won't reach them.

As the battle goes on and balloons get popped, more overpowered items come into play. Such as:

These items are pretty self-explanatory. Spam them, get points. Fire flowers and boomerangs can score multiple times on one person.

Red shells are impossible to avoid as long as your target doesn't have a way to protect themselves. Reds target the closest player, make sure to throw it directly at your target. Occasionally they will fly past for no reason. (Most likely lag)

If you get a piranha plant, spam the item button to make it snap faster. It's harder to sneak past. Sometimes, the piranha will die after a few snaps for no reason.

Other battle mode items that aren't too helpful:
    Mushrooms almost always lag online. If they don't, you get an extra balloon and +2 points. That's pretty useful. Triple bananas you can use like triple greens, but they provide no protection from shells and other items.

To conclude, the following items are not in MK8 Battle mode:

Once all your balloons are popped, you will become a ghost. As a ghost, you can still attack people. You do not get points for hitting other players as a ghost, but whoever you hit will lose balloons. Ghosts are invisible to all other players, including other ghosts. Ghosts can only get bananas and shells for items. If you drag your item behind you as a ghost, the item will be visible.

Some strategies for attacking other players as ghosts:

★ Stalk a player around. Once you see them go for an item box, whip out a shell. If all goes well, you can get the item box and hit them again.

★ Cover an item box with bananas. Pretty simple, this won't do much. Unless you died within the first minute, it's better to follow people around than to camp.

★ Bounce green shells off the walls. This works especially well in areas like the tunnel in sherbet land

★ Do not drag your item behind you, it makes you visible. Players will know you're there.

Being a ghost can be either fun revenge, or boring as hell. It's still a neat concept.

In previous Mario kart games, it was smarter to use a lightweight in battle mode. Their high acceleration and small hitbox made them the ideal choice. In MK8, I disagree that you have to use a lightweight to win. Unlike vs mode, you can use whoever you like in battle mode. Ideally anything lighter than cruiser weight is best. The heaviest weights are just too big and don't recover quick enough.

For bikes/karts, It's really up to personal preference. I prefer an outside drift bike (Standard bike). Bikes have smaller hitboxes. There isn't much reason to use a kart over a bike in battle mode, things like firehopping are irrelevant.

Roller tires are the preferred choice because of their high acceleration. Many people use Biddybuggy or Mr. Scooty paired with those tires for max acceleration.

★ The U-turn
    In MKW, it was far easier to turn around by holding acceleration and brakes at the same time to get a blue spark, then turn in whichever direction and let go of the brakes to boost forward. This does not work in MK8. Instead, it's far easier to turn around by doing a U-turn. To do this, simply let go of the acceleration, hold down the brakes and turn in the desired direction. Holding down the brakes is not required to do a U-turn, some people just let go of the acceleration. I recommend practicing U-turns offline and figure out what works best for you)

An example:

★ If there are a lot of ghosts roaming around, do not drive "predictably". Avoid driving in a straight line. Many ghosts target item boxes, try not to cycle items if you don't need to. If you pop a player's last balloon and they become a ghost, do not stay there. Drive away quickly. They will go for revenge, especially if they died near an item box.

★ Do not do that hop/bump/hump thing. People will hit you. Unless you are playing in a room with friends, you're asking for suicide by doing that online.

★ Don't chase the same player for half the match. It's smarter to camp around a section of the track. Depending on the item you have on hand, it may or may not be smart to attack a cluster of people. You can see these clumps on the mini-map.

★ Remember to compensate for lag. If you notice a player lagging a lot, shoot slightly ahead of them.

In conclusion, MK8 battle mode is very fun and hectic. The large tracks don't cause near as many problems as expected. It's still far from the excitement of Cookie land on MKW, but by no means is it terrible. I hope to see more people playing battle mode in the near future. :thumbsup:

★ MKW sprites:
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/girrrtacos/MarioKartWii-CharacterICONS.png

Helpful contributors:

★ MonicaF_MKW
    ★ TheVillager
    ★ Shank

Screenshots and gifs by yours truly. Thanks for reading, happy battling! :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Ara, Domenico, Luso and 12 others like this.
  2. Mahdi

Mahdi

This a really nice guide. However, i think it would be worth noting that Piranha's are very spontaneous in battle; sometimes they last fully and while other times they just die out after 1-3 snaps

Faith likes this.
  3. Faith

• Banned
    Added^ thanks for the tip!

Mahdi likes this.
  4. TheVillager

TheVillager

I believe it would be helpful to add a strategy / tip section that I could greatly contribute to.
    On the topic, it'd be helpful to add that Red Shells target the closest and highest point character in an inconsistent (from my experience) area.

5. Faith

• Banned
    I could put that under 5. Useful techs and tips.

Hmm, can you provide some proof? I haven't noticed any sort of pattern with the red shells that they "target player with highest points". I will add the bit where they target the closest player. Thanks!

6. Unlock

Unlock Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    MKBoards
    If only more people would do battle wars. :(

7. Ana

Ana 07.14

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    lol, 'battle'. Nintendo did a fantastic job of fk'ing it up

8. TheVillager

TheVillager

Nah, I'm fine. I'd like to go to a battle and spam some bombs at you advertisers though!
    On topic, I'm battling online now, so I'll edit this posts with some tips as the time goes.

EDIT 1: Strategies
    So I paused my current session to do this, got my rating up 100. DatsKool. Anyway, I noticed a few strategies, for courses and overall.

A fella named Dako from Canada showed me a nice strategy when being pursued by ghosts. What he did is he identified where the ghosts were (by where they threw and where the items being held behind were) and then performed a U-Turn. It COMPLETELY through them off guard and he got a free escape.

A lady named Jennifer demonstrated expert play on a Moo Moo Meadows battle. Her strategic play revolved around the small area with the ramp and small circles of grass. She always had 3 Green Shells circling her (somehow) and when one would intrude, she'd launch one of her shells at said player.

Lastly of now's update, I came up with Stalling. You see, all players begin with 3 points. As players are hit and eliminated, they lose and gain. By the end of any match most players will be at 1 point and a ghost. So what I did is I evaded all incoming attacks and was completely aware of my surroundings. Easily I won a few matches. Although I needed to attack to make sure that my adversaries did not block me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    Faith likes this.
  9. Shank

Shank

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Black and White
    • Red shells target players they get close to, they don't auto-target. If you throw a red and nobody is in its path, it will go straight into a wall and break.
    • Stalling can and almost always will backfire. Spending a minute or two dragging out a match is a good way to be targeted by everyone, and no matter how aware you are of your surroundings, you can't react to a green or banana in the face at point blank range.
    • The faster you're moving, the farther you'll throw items. Boosters are the obvious method, but MT/SMTs are also useful for getting extra distance.
    • Triple greens/bananas don't protect you as well as many people think. If you and someone with triples are driving towards each other, it's worth throwing a green since it will often slip through.
    • Coins actually do appear in rare cases, although they don't do anything. I'm not sure if this still happens since the patch.

Faith likes this.
  10. Faith

• Banned
    The coins still happen since the patch, roughly 1 in every 30-40 battles. It's because of lag, the item boxes spin forever when this happens. If you get hit, coins pop out. They do nothing though
    Even got a pic of it:

11. Momo

Momo Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    Galactic Titans
    No
    https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKljn3EruA

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYn9opcYDw

Also a kart can ram you, and push you off the course and not get hit by the 3 items. That happened to me once in yoshi. I also seen a lot of times someone dragging a single green (or me dragging the green) bump into a triple green person, and get the sore where the triple green person is left with nothing. I am not suggesting to run into people with triple items but do not act like nothing can hit you with them. Also boomerangs, bombs and flowers are good ways of dealing with them. Items can also hit above and below you (like the second link with the banana), I got hit midair with a tossed bomb.
    It is just let go of the acceleration, breaking is not needed.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  12. Faith

• Banned

I said at the beginning of a battle. It's easier to avoid them than to play aggressively. As for the U-turn comment, I'll add that in, thanks for the tip!

To address another issue I have had for a while:

Please stop complaining about battle mode as though the "update ruined everything."

You've just reached your max (you were at 6400 last time we battled, and the only time I've seen you in a WW for a long while) and that's not worth being so negative. You speak as though everyone has this problem with the update when there are players steadily climbing, almost up to 7K and many over that, me included. I don't think either of us would of reached 9999 prior to update, no sense crying over spilled milk.

We are not all struggling with the update. There are many players with 6000 and higher, a few 7000+, and many many 5000s. Battle mode's rating system isn't broken for everyone. I join the same handful of people everyday unintentionally, whenever I see their miis come up the hill, I know them by name. It's very enjoyable to battle with these people. All of them have 6000+. I have no problem joining players with high numbers, if I join a room with lower numbers, I don't usually lose, so I gain points anyways.

I respect if you are struggling with battle mode, I am not suggesting you should start playing again (although that would be nice, you're fun to battle with) but you speak as though it's broken for everyone, and everyone is losing so many points. As I said earlier:

We are not all struggling with the update.

Daisy-Fan likes this.
  13. Momo

Momo Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    Galactic Titans
    That is fine but:
    You can't pierce their barrier with a single shell or a banana.
    that is wrong, and I was showing it to be wrong.

For why I do not ww battle, because I do not like the point system and I have clan wars to do and I need to practice my racing. I do not like losing points for getting 3rd or 4th so I will not play unless I have time and a room. I do not have time like you do to be able to take a loss and make that loss break even with 12- firsts to 3rds or whatever.

14. Maikaru

Maikaru

• Founding Member
    I appreciate someone here making a battle mode guide
    now thanks to this I can actually give battle mode a shot more often ^^

Faith likes this.
  15. Alex

Alex Guest

literally just seeing this now
    h o l y f u c k
    can this b stickied along with flc's guid

Faith likes this.