1. For the foreseeable future, this website will be in a read-only state. Please visit https://mariokartboards.com/ for our new domain.

Mario Kart Wii on YouTube: Overview

Discussion in 'Articles' started by King, May 14, 2014.

1. King

King

Mario Kart Wii on YouTube
    Part 1: Overview
    The Height of YouTube Activity

I first discovered the competitive side of Mario Kart Wii in early-mid 2011. This was during the halfway point of the game's lifespan. At this point, arguably, this was the height of the game's content on YouTube. Various directors were publishing videos of Mario Kart Wii on their own growing channels and community channels such as NinBuzz. Many of these directors became popular and were active on YouTube, and this period of time, in my opinion, was the height of MKW on YouTube. Channels like Mario Kart Cinema and Kart Network were created; various players (including myself) began uploading. Despite the activity, only so many uploaders became well-known off of YouTube. This height of activity only lasted through 2012. Why is this? Opinions may vary, but in my book there was only one lacking factor: Originality.

Content

Not many Mario Kart Wii uploaders became successful. Only a handful, actually. The ones that did become popular had original content. They introduced things nobody had ever done, and sometimes things people hadn't even thought of. I'll name some of those people that most, if not all of us know of. Troy, Sword, Wrath, Eirik, and Mr. Bean. These five (and some others, somewhat lesser known) introduced original content and optimized other ideas. I'll list some things these five introduced.

• Troy: Series' such as "Rate That Custom Track, "Fail and Recovery, and "Olympics."
    • Sword: Comedic skits and compilations.
    • Wrath: Unique compilations, series' such as "Epic Moments."
    • Eirik: Heavily edited montages and compilations, series' such as "Top 5 Plays of the Week."
    • Mr. Bean: Introduced new gameplay mechanics and modifications.

Meanwhile, the rest of the community was uploading the same basic things. Unedited Worldwide races, and selected races from clan wars. Some tried to drive the community to bring original content, such as Eggdings and Calvin, but at that point the YouTube scene had become inactive. Well-known uploaders faded out of activity, motivation from smaller uploaders was lost, and by around early 2013 the YouTube scene had all but disappeared. It's a shame, there were a lot of things this game had to offer. I have high hopes that Mario Kart 8 will revive this community on YouTube and new and original ideas will be introduced.

What should we expect for Mario Kart 8? What ideas do you have? Join me next time as I give my thoughts on some new, entertaining possibilities, and even some of my own plans.

Thank you for reading!

Nio likes this.
  2. Mangojet

Mangojet

I will continue making Mario Kart videos as I have for both Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7. Luckily, I will be uploading more often than when I played MK7 where I had to deal with a camera set-up (which got bothersome after a while). Call me boring, but I don't plan on doing anything special for my videos. Although users like Troy / Sword / Wrath / etc. spend extra time making their videos entertaining to their audience, I don't want to follow the same route. I want to make my videos enjoyable to myself because I like going back and rewatching all of my old videos. If other people enjoy them as well, that's good. However, my video are generally made for me. This involves using music that I enjoy and uploading races I want to upload (where I think something awesome happened and want to have it on video). I do commentaries occasionally because they are more entertaining to my audience (at least I think they are), but that's about it. I don't think all these edits and montages really enhance video quality. As long as I play well, that should be enough.

Also, I generally prefer watching videos from good players, regardless if they went through the trouble of enhancing their videos. Montages / Comedic skits / etc. are aimed at a different audience and don't really appeal to me.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Lunar, AlliMeadow and King like this.
  3. King

King

I wasn't implying a bunch of edits makes a good video, I meant putting hard work into a video appeals to a lot of people.

Besides that I do understand what you like, everyone has different tastes :p

4. Divide.

Divide. Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    [¢β]
    Elgato HD makes Jesus tier quality for Wii U games. Suggest anyone who plans on recording get one if you can afford it (I bought mine from a friend for like $120) but I know on Amazon they are like $150-ish possibly lower, but an HD PVR 2 works too.

Cynda likes this.
  5. King

King

I'm using my first edition PVR, it's not HDMI but still very good. Those are the best options though

6. Mewwy :3

Mewwy :3

Team:
    Divine Phoenix
    I'm still using mine lol. It would be nice to get some new component cables at least because mine are crap. Never had any problems with it though.

7. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    After Crusher and I experimented multiple times, the HD PVR 1st Edition is way better when using a wii, but since MK8 will be on a Wii U, as we experimented, the Elgato Game Capture is "Jesus Tier" compared to the Wii.

Basically to sum it up, Elgato produces nearly the best image possibly on the Wii U, but looks mediocre on a Wii.

Jesus Tier = RtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRtRt

Cynda and Divide. like this.
  8. Divide.

Divide. Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    [¢β]
    Pretty much this, I know when I recorded gameplay for Mario Kart Wii on my wii u, it still looked a little shaky and some parts were kind of pixelated in parts of the recording, but compared to a video on the actual Wii U part like this one: as compared to something recorded on the Wii part of the system like this:

playing back both videos in 360p, the wii u friend roster video looks far more clean to look at, and doesn't really show any pixels at all, with the worldwide races having more problems. Then again, I may not have the best settings set up on my Elgato HD anyway. :p

9. Cynda

Cynda

Team:
    After reading this I'll probably order an Elgato soon. The HD-PVR creates a noticeable blur with component cables on the Wii U, whereas after looking at the Elgato quality it looks amazing.

10. Ana

Ana 07.14

I know my channel got a lot of views because of the texture hack videos I would upload. Once the WiiU came out, I pretty much stopped uploading. I'm sure once MK8 comes out more people will start uploading, and who knows what kind of content we'll start seeing.
    I hope to upgrade from the first HD-PVR to an Elgato soon. Elgato's quality is just :inlove: