1. For the foreseeable future, this website will be in a read-only state. Please visit https://mariokartboards.com/ for our new domain.

Mario Kart 8 - My Review

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Thunder, May 29, 2014.

1. Thunder

Thunder Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    √źynamite
    Mario Kart 8 - My Review
    By ~ Thunder

Introduction
    Mario Kart 8 is probably the most anticipated Game this Month and Nintendo has given away tons of trailers with a lot of information regarding game mechanics and certain types of items, characters, and vehicles. In this article, it is my job to give my best analysis on the game mechanics. So without further ado, I present to MKBoards:
    Mario Kart 8 - An In Depth Analysis on Game Mechanics.

Characters
    Lets open up this article with the character roster. To be honest, the character roster is very underwhelming to say the least, but I shouldn't be stating my opinion, I should be giving Information. There are 30 playable characters in Mario Kart 8, consisting of 16 default characters and 14 characters that can be unlocked. 9 New characters have appeared in the game. The Koopalings, Roy, Lemmy, Wendy, Iggy, Larry, Ludwig, and Morton. New additions also include Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina. There are 3 weight classes dependent on the size of the kart the characters ride on (with the exception of Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach): light, medium, and heavy, though a group of certain drivers in a class have differing stats to another group. The stats are also quite interesting as Weight classes are separated. Enough on characters, lets go to the next part of this article.
    Vehicles
    The Vehicle selection on Mario Kart 8 has Karts, Bikes, and a new type of vehicle class, ATVs. This is a list of the currently known available kart parts to customize a player's vehicle. Currently, there are 14 karts, 9 bikes, 3 ATVs (26 bodies in total), 18 tires, and 11 gliders known. The parts are listed as they appear in-game, and the stat boost/drop values are out of 6. Here are some things to note:
    • Speed: The top speed of the vehicle. Does not affect off-road travel.
    • Acceleration: The rate of the vehicle it takes to reach its top speed from a standing position.
    • Weight: The weight of the vehicle. Vehicles with higher weight knock away vehicles with lower weight.
    • Handling: The turning ability of the vehicle. A higher stat means vehicles turn sharper.
    • Traction: The grasp of the vehicle. Vehicles with higher traction slip less on certain terrain and can stay stable on the road better. Not to be confused with handling.
    Now on to the next part of this Analysis.
    Courses
    c The Course selection includes New tracks such as Mario Kart Stadium, Sunshine Airport, and 16 returning retro tracks. Many people have criticized some of the tracks as being "dull" and "boring". This mostly comes out of the Rainbow Road. It is very underwhelming, to say the least, but it still has that factor that many people like. The tracks do look nice and they brought back N64 Rainbow Road. Only 2 Wii tracks have appeared in Mario Kart 8, Moo Moo Meadows and Grumble Volcano. The track selection does look nice however, and I, as well as tons of others are excited for the new track selection. Now on to the Final Section.
    Items
    The Items of Mario Kart 8 are sort-of interesting, but they don't bring a whole lot of excitement. As in all Mario Kart games, Mario Kart 8 keeps the use of items during the races. Four new items have been added to the list that are the Boomerang, the The Piranha Plant, the Super Horn and the Crazy Eight. The Coin makes also a return as an item since its first appearance in Super Mario Kart. Additionally, The Triple Bananas and the The Triple Mushrooms surround the vehicle in the same manner as triple shells do, and opponents receive their effects when touching them, giving some disadvantage, or advantage in the case of the triple mushrooms. Racers no longer lose the items they have in the circumstance they go off road or fall off and Lakitu comes to bring them back to the track. Now on to my Final Thoughts.

The Game looks amazing, and I can't stress the fact enough that this game has all the good things a mario kart game should have. It has many great features, But also some things that can be improved on. Overall, we just have to wait 1 more day, then we will be playing 'till the cows come home. I hope I can write daily articles on MK8 and see how far I can get. Until then, Bye!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. s

s pavement

this month?

3. Zinthos

Zinthos

It's not really an in-depth analysis. It's more like a review of the game. You put personal feelings in the "analysis" and I didn't really learn anything new from the game. Put something like bunny hopping or w/e it's called, put vehicle combinations for wi-fi. I didn't learn more about the game from reading this, and I don't even own the game.

tl;dr This needs to be more in-depth.

King likes this.
  4. King

King

This is pretty much telling everyone the things we've gathered from the game put all together. I agree with Ade, it's not really in-depth and the personal feelings are out of place.

robsterinside likes this.