1. For the foreseeable future, this website will be in a read-only state. Please visit https://mariokartboards.com/ for our new domain.

Interview with Bounty

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PokeMaster Calvin, Feb 4, 2014.

1. PokeMaster Calvin

PokeMaster Calvin West Coast is Best Coast || aka Aiden

So this is something I've been wanting to do for ages, interview players. Finally got something done, after ages of planning on doing this. Here's the interview, enjoy.

Bounty is a well known and long time member of the competitive Mario Kart Wii community who is best known for his leadership of the clan Flow. He is seen as a respectful and valuable member of the community, often taking on roles like WCL and IL division admin or council member.

This interview was conducted via IM over Skype.

Calvin: So I'm going to start off fairly simple. What got you into the competitive Mario Kart scene in the first place? Like if you had to name a day where your "career" started, what would it be?

Bounty: I originally tried to get into the gaming clan scene through another game, Mario Strikers Charged. I faced a lot of people throughout that game from a clan called Wii Troopers and one day (August 8th, 2008) tried to get into the clan and got a trial. However, that game was on it's decline for the clan scene and died shortly after before I could finish my trial. I was also actively playing Mario Kart Wii during this time and enjoyed the game a lot and realized that Wii Troopers played that to so I ended up trialing for Mario Kart Wii and made it in.

Calvin: So Wii Troopers was where you started, they were one of the earlier teams to participate in WCL and the like, correct? Were you pretty involved with the team?

Bounty: Yes, the Wii Troopers participated in the first season of WCL in division 3....... I was actively involved with the team from the minute I made it and got to know all of the members well. I was available to play in all the matches if I was needed.

Calvin: At some point the Wii Troopers MKW team broke off from the rest of the clan to form Elite Exiles, what led to that? I know [wt]Arbok at the time had a pretty strong opinion about the matter.

Bounty: Wii Troopers was a multi gaming clan and the mario kart wii division chose to separate for a few different reasons.

Firstly, the overall leader of the clan Zzz, wasn't someone that many of us thought was an exemplar leader.

However, the main reason was that the clan had a you must win mentality. The pressure to always have to win led playing the game to be more stressful than it needed to be. The fact that the clan had that mentality also made us stay away from playing top clans to avoid losses which eventually led us to be isolated from the rest of the community. We wanted to integrate more into the community and race without the pressure of having to win every time.

Arbok didn't necessarily have a huge say in the Mario kart wii division breaking off, his strong opinion was about how we should not be playing Mario Kart Wii competitively because the game is 100% Luck based, which was also an opinion that we disagreed with.

Calvin: Going into Elite Exiles did you feel like your team was stronger? How did you compare to the other top tier teams at the time?

Bounty: I felt that our team was stronger, despite our record being worse than it was in Wii Troopers. The fact that we played top clans more often made us improve very quickly to the point where we could hold our ground against really strong teams.

Calvin: Obviously Elite Exiles eventually died, can you tell me what led to that?

Bounty: Elite Exiles major problem was being able to get more members. We had about 8 active players which were from the Wii Troopers division (since a few quit the game at that time such as JTR, Fizz). Our isolation from the community during our time in Wii Troopers didn't help as people still viewed us as Wii Troopers which turned many people's backs in wanting to join us. Throughout Elite Exiles life span we only ever picked up 3 players that were not from Wii Troopers which were DvX, Whirly, and Chris. The clan ended up dying due to the inactivity of it and not being able to get more members.

Calvin: It seemed like the core of Elite Exiles remained together though. Would I be correct in saying a lot of you joined Purity, and then eventually Flow?

Bounty: That would be correct. Frank, Nave, Ginge, Snap and myself joined Purity shortly after Elite Exiles died. (All 5 of us being part of Wii Troopers). Purity wasn't as strong as Wii Troopers or Elite Exiles was, we wanted to try and improve a weaker clan and ended up with beating All Stars once when they were 57-1 - that war may be the biggest upset in the lifespan of Mario Kart Wii. However, Spinout killed Purity on an impulse after an argument with a fellow member Gay Zay. After this snap, nave, chooch, ginge, and myself joined SB (Surprise Buttsecks). I ended up leaving that clan due to being harassed by a fellow member and another team member purposely hitting me in wars to get himself better scores. SB died about a week or two after I left. So being clanless again, I wanted to do what we did with purity and join a new clan that isn't at the top of community and after looking through all the clans in the World Clan league I spotted Flow and Frank / Chooch and I asked to war with them a couple times to see if we liked it which we did and we joined (Snap and Ginge stopped playing at this time and Nave went to trial for a top clan but ended up quitting the trial and coming to Flow with us alter). This was my favourite move that I made in this community.

Calvin: It would seem so, Flow ended up being the team you're remembered for by most. Is Flow something you're proud of? Is it something you can look back upon without regrets, or are there some things you wish had been different?

Bounty: Flow is something I was proud of, it was a place where I could be myself without being judged, unlike the real world. The friends I made in flow will always been remembered and I'm still friends with many of them and have even went to visit Frank and Kyle in real life last summer. There will always be regrets so I do have a couple but overall I can hold my head up high about Flow and my experience with it.

Calvin: Like you mentioned, Flow seemed to be a place where everyone could be themselves, especially during the time period where it seemed to be a very core group of friends. Do you think the bonds between teammates had a strong effect on teamwork and success in wars, or did the majority of in game success come from individual ability?

Bounty: For a clan to be extremely successful you needed to have both teamwork and individual abilities. Flow was one of the strongest clans for a long period of time and during that time I believe we had the worst individual skill but the best teamwork skill out of the top clans which is how we were able to compete with them. Teamwork, communication, and staying calm are 3 things in this game that go unnoticed and can bring a team from being good to being great

Calvin: What many consider to be the strongest Flow lineup that played together was Sagar, Troy, Adam, Aurora, Cobra and Chaos. I believe it was these members that had a very strong run during a season of WCL, only to be knocked down at the end by [iS]. Would you agree that this was the strongest lineup? Do you feel like they were a good example of what Flow was, or would other members have represented the ideals of Flow better?

Bounty: I agree that the strongest flow line up ever would've consisted of Sagar, Aurora, Adam, Chaos but I wouldn't either Nave or Lyfe as the 5th. During that IL season we went 8-0-2. We actually beat iS twice and lost to Kc twice and iS beat Kc twice and we the 3rd team in the tiebreaker. For being what Flow was and it's ideals I do not see that as being the best line up to represent Flow. Chaos was without a doubt one of the best racers in the game but he did not get involved with flow as much as the other members and also left it after not too long. I think Troy is an over rated player, he is really good but not one of the best like people treat him as based on his major successes in youtube. He wasn't as calm as the others that were mentioned as well. Cobra also ended up leaving. My personal favourite line up for Flow was Nave, Lyfe, Frank, Aurora and I. That was the line-up that best represented Flow during the golden era. And with later additions Sagar, Adam and Matt would be added to that.

Calvin: There seemed to be quite a few rocky points in Flow's history where players would leave and come back, namely Sagar and Adam among others. Were there internal issues that lead to this, or were they just looking for what they considered to be a stronger team?

Bounty: It would be the latter. Flow always was a tight knit group and everyone liked each other but some of the better racers skill wise wanted to reach higher up and left to join clans like iS. However, it wasn't just their personal intentions that made this happen. iS and their leader cool purposely tried taking our members after we made them really strong, this was something that I never liked but almost every member that did that eventually wanted to come back because they said they liked Flow's attitude and atmosphere better

Calvin: You lead right into my next question. I think it was at some point, I believe it was when Shok left for [iS], that [iS] seemed to start poaching a large number of players from Flow. The other incarnations of [iS] down the road like Imperious and Strike From Above seemed to do the same thing. Did this create some bad blood in between the Flow and these other teams, or did you just kind of sit back and respect your players' decisions to leave?

Bounty: I did feel some hostility towards iS back in the day, not really Imperious though. I never ended a relationship with a member that left Flow for iS / im although sometimes that was a side effect from the change of clans without me wanting it to be. In the end of the day, if someone left my team for another team, even if that team was trying to steal them, I must have done something wrong. I always respected the decisions of my teammates when they left but I did feel disappointed about it, some more than others.

Calvin: Were you uncomfortable with letting certain people return to Flow after they had left once or twice?

Bounty: I am a very forgiving person but I did feel uncomfortable with the idea since if they have done it once, what makes you say they won't do it again?

Read the rest of the interview here

2. Vettel

Vettel

that is actually pretty interesting, and gives a deeper look into a person
    nice idea Calvin

3. Divide.

Divide. Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    [¢β]
    Great idea, Aiden. This looks good.

4. Krypta

Krypta Banned ;_;

• Banned
    hah, this reminds me of the funny interview from neo over demise  :D

but nice idea again (y)

5. Maru

Maru Zura

Impressive Calvin, are you interested in journalism as a possible career? Curious to know.

6. Eric

Eric

Team:
    Play It Loud!
    Switch FC:
    0022-0027-5937
    A proper journalist would use a footnote to explain what the WCL is. Not necessarily a bad interview, but the subject matter is very cringe-worthy.

7. TGKiltron

TGKiltron The Great

Team:
    Forever Onward
    This is pretty great....... Do you plan on trying to interview more people?

8. Maru

Maru Zura

I don't think Calvin was necessarily trying to make this a formal matter though....... But you're right in which he should have explained what the WCL was had he intended to make this indeed what would constitute a formal one.

9. PokeMaster Calvin

Thanks for reminding me, I'll make sure I use footnotes in the future. I was going to put WCL (World Clan League) and IL (International League) at the top in the into, but I did this rather late last night and rushed it. Definitely could use some polish for formality's sake, and footnotes are a fantastic idea. This was meant to be fairly professional as far as a gaming interview goes, I'm using it as material for a position I'm applying for.

I'm curious as to why its cringe worthy though :p

I've thought about it, because I really enjoy writing articles and the like, but if I were to delve into the field it would be more of a part time thing. I have other plans career wise.

Ya I am. The original plan was to these live over Skype call, but I needed this one to be text  and to be done quickly due to my current situation. I asked Bounty to do this awhile ago and finally got around to it. I asked Sagar about a month ago, and he said he would as well, so I'm guessing he'll probably be the next person.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

10. Maru

Maru Zura

Well you're 16, so you got a bit of time to think things over. But I think your writing is raw in a good way. Keep up the good work, Cal.

11. life

life ~

Nice read. Well done Calvin.

12. Umbre

Umbre

At least for the time I was (active) in iS, we never tried to poach other members from other clans.

Otherwise, nice to read.

13. Novak

Novak heirik

ain't this cute

14. Ryuji

Ryuji (`・ω´・)

MKW is a career, must be srs business

15. Scales

Scales

Look at everyone so eager to judge. Some stories would be boring as fuck granted, but I find this one cool, defo the wrong one to judge, this guy has been cool the whole way.

16. PokeMaster Calvin

Thanks, hopefully I can continue this type of stuff part time. I hope I get this job I'm applying for :S

For those of you that think this is a joke, I get that. It's just Mario Kart Wii. I wrote this because I needed samples for a writer position I'm trying to get at Team Dignitas. All the same it seemed people enjoyed this for the most part and I'd like to continue with MK related articles. I plan on getting into other games and communities as well.

EDIT: Also I miss seeing the professionalism of stuff like this in the MKW community, as I can only remember it ever happening in the WCL days. Journalism is something that's started to becoming big in competitive gaming communities, and I don't see anything wrong with applying that to Mario Kart, regardless of the community's size or age.

17. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    Forgot to put Chilo in the last question.

18. Alex

Alex Guest

Very nice interview Calvin....... 8)

19. Zinthos

Zinthos

Nice idea Calvin!

I like this idea of journalism, kind of the fruit of the idea my IL News Network, but a little too late for that for me :p

I loved the interview as well, the questions were very interesting

20. KillerUnit

KillerUnit

Thanks for the content, Calvin. This reminds me of the interviews Ownage did for the MKCL back in 2010 over Skype with some clan members about their clan's history and their matches of course. I would be interested in reading more of your interviews....... ;D

21. iDaylon

iDaylon サイコパス Staff Member

• Global Moderator
    Team:
    JJ
    Great interview, Calvin. GL on your future endeavors as a journalist.

22. PokeMaster Calvin

Thanks! That was one of the inspirations actually, I remember some video interviews over Skype with like Oracles and Flow that they did. I've got another one coming already, hopefully its good.

Thanks Ade and Daylon ^^

23. luke

luke vision of excellence

Team:
    Rookie's Dictatorship
    Journalism$$!

In all seriousness, aside from the lack of a footnote (is that really relevant here? an interview of a mkw player, posted on a mkw board, I think we all know what IL and WCL is) I found it to be quite an interesting read, and you didn't have these really obvious and terrible transitions, everything (excuse the pun, it wasn't intended) flowed quite well.

<late> If you are forwarding this on to someone outside the community as part of a job app, you may want to put in that footnote&nbsp; ::)