1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Important !! MKBoards will be moving to a new domain. Please read this thread. for details. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

[GBA] Ribbon Road

Discussion in 'Bell Cup' started by Jozeph, May 22, 2015.

1. Jozeph

Jozeph

*This is outdated and incomplete. I don't play this game anymore, so don't expect me to finish this, of which I apologize. If you are a skilled player at this track and would like to help finish this guide, you are more than welcome to.

Current WR & Non Advantage WR by Flame:

Current Advantage WR & D-Pad WR by Kyle:

Current Motion Control WR by Victor:

Most Optimal Combo:
    Superheavy Weight/ Streetle/ (Cyber) Slicks/ Any Glider

Hi, I'm Jozeph. I shall be trying my best to explain how to time trial this track to those who need help. I'll be explaining the different strats and techniques in this guide, and as well as pictures. I also included a time frame for each part of my guide that goes along with the WR video, so you can see the strats in action. I will mainly be referring to Flame's run (not Kyle's).

* Advantaged controllers (Wii Mote D-pad and Wii Wheel/ Motion Controls), gain a small amount of time here, and play the track slightly differently. I will try to go over the advantaged-controller strats along with non-advantage, but if you still need help with advantaged-controller strats, I recommend that you find an expert in using those controllers.

The Beginning
    [Time Frame: 0:09 - 0:20/ 0:47 - 0:55]
    Lap 1:
    After getting the startup boost, do two hops, one to the left, one to the right. Right after that, do a slide to the left; you'll get a bit of air. After you land, drift to the right, and enter the first turn. Begin to softdrift, so you can get the smt. Once you obtain the smt, release it and do a hop the left then the right. Continue to drift after the two hops, and be sure to go wide to get the first two coins. After the turn is over, release your drift and do two hops, to the left and then the right, just before the hump in the ground.

Now, you're going to get air; while midair, start a drift to the left. Upon landing, you should be drifting onto the boost ramp. Make sure to get one of the coins there, as well.

Lap 2/3:
    When you enter on laps 2/3, you're going to do 4 slides, to the left, right, left, right. Important: try to get as low air as possible when doing the slides. In order to do this, hold your slides a bit longer than usual. Getting low air saves around .050. After the slides, do a drift to the right on the first turn. Unlike lap 1, get an mt rather than an smt. After releasing the mt, do a slide to the left. Then drift to the right again. Take the turn as tight as possible. Now, on this turn, start off with neutral movement. A bit after entering the turn, keep drift tight to the right. This lets you take the turn tighter instead of trying to go inward from the start. Do the same hops and drift on the boost ramp as on lap 1.

Green Castle
    [Time Frame: 0:21 - 0:29/ 0:56- 1:04]
    Lap 1:
    The green castle is right after the beginning of the track. When you enter the green castle, you are drifting off the boost ramp from before. While you're in midair from the boost ramp, softdrift. Once you land, release the smt from your drift. Quickly drift the left tightly, and then start moving to the right. Release the mt from your drift, and do two slides, one to the right, then the left.
    Start a drift to the left right after the slides. Go wide to get the 3 coins on the corner. Then take the turn very tight. Upcoming next is the boost ramp mt strat, which will take some practice. After taking the turn tightly after the 3 coins, release your smt.
    You're going to want to do two hops, one to the right then the left, and skip some of the offroad. After landing, start a drift to the right on the hump on the ground. Be sure to collect the coin while you're at it. After landing from the airtime you got from the hump, continue your drift onto the boost ramp. On the ramp, be sure to be going as far to the left as possible. Slightly after the boost ramp launches you midair, release your mt to get an increased boost.

Lap 2/3:
    You're going to want to enter the green castle on laps 2/3 the same way you did lap 1. Release your smt upon landing from the boost ramp. However, unlike lap 1, you'll want to do a single slide the right after the mt on the first turn. Then, take the upcoming turn tighter than you did on lap 1. Then do the ramp mt strat like you did lap 1.

Blue Castle ( PACE-BASED )
    [Time Frame: 0:30 - 0:40/ 1:05 - 1:14/ 1:39 - 1:49]

This part of the track is pace-based, meaning if you are at a part of the track at a different time frame from someone else, the track will impact you differently. I will go over the WR pace in this guide, so if you need help at your pace just ask me for assistance.

Lap 1:
    After landing from the ramp in the green castle, you will immediately want to start a drift to the right on the upcoming turn, and go wide to collect your 8th coin. After that small turn, you have to options to do the waves. You can either:
    A: hop and get air, then do a slide the left and drift to the right afterwards upon landing
    B: slide to the left, then to the right and trick off the wave and drift to the right after
    Both ways are just as fast the either, so you can choose which one fits your style. When you approach the first NISC (No-item Shortcut), release your drift and mt right before you exit off the waves. Once on the NISC, keep driving forward normally until you get to the boost ramp. You will want to hop on the boost ramp and get a drift on it.
    Heads up: there are two ways the ramp drift can go. You can get a lot of air, which is normal.
    Or, you can get a "low ramp". You get a low ramp when you get as little air as possible. Low ramps save around .150.
    After you land back on the wave, continue drifting. Make sure you face the left, as well, so you can be at the best possible for the next NISC. As you approach the NISC, release your drift and smt off the waves. Once you land on the NISC, hop the right. Then, trick and land on the glider pad. Make you sure trick off the glider pad.

Lap 2:
    Once you land from the boost ramp from the green castle, don't go wide like you did on lap 1. Release your mt after the turn, and do a slide to the left. Right after that one slide to the right and trick. After the trick, drift to the right. The rest is the same as lap 1.

Lap 3:
    Once you land from boost ramp from the green castle, drift to the right. After the turn, release your drift and mt and hop into the air. Once you land, slide from the left to the right and drift. The rest of the lap is the same as laps 1 and 2.

Red Castle
    [Time Frame: 0:41- 0:47/ 1:15 - 1:22]
    Lap 1:
    During the glider section, go as low as possible when going to land. As you land, drift to the right and collect the final two coins.
    As you approach the shroomspot, shroom as soon as you hit the offroad. Make you sure try to to take SC as tight as possible, but be sure not to hit the pillar.
    Once you exit the SC, do 5 hops. The first hop should be to the left, and you'll get a lot of air. Once you land, do the 4 remaning right-left-right-left hops.

Lap 2:
    Lap 2 is executed the exact same as lap 1, aside from the two coins not being there.

Lap 3:
    Lap 3 is executed the same as laps 1 and 2, only difference being the Bowser Jr. jack-in-the-box in the way at the glider section. You should go to the left when avoiding it.

Thus concludes my guide to this track, GBA Ribbon Road. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, and I will be more than welcome to answer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Jozeph

Jozeph

I'll start editing this with updated strats soon.

3. Zach627

Zach627

Team:
    Rebellion
    Very nice guide, credz to Joseph

4. Umbre

Umbre

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    I was the one that did it, however I have given it to Jozeph as I have no interest to learn any of the new strats or TT the track anymore, so it'd be better in the hands of one who's capable.

Jozeph likes this.
  5. Jozeph

Jozeph

finished the first half

6. Jozeph

Jozeph

Finished.

7. Jozeph

Jozeph

added pics

8. Rhodechill2

Rhodechill2

Team:
    Formerly [iS] & Rated R★
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0776-7647-2220
    Unfortunately a lot of important pics have disappeared

9. Jozeph

Jozeph

Thanks for telling me. Sorry I haven't noticed earlier, for some reason I didn't get a notification even though I'm watching this thread.

10. Impa

Impa

• MKBoards Supporter
    Switch FC:
    7038-8353-5903
    Hi Jozeph, thanks for this guide. Can you please explain what you mean by getting a lot of air? I haven't heard that expression before. Thanks.

11. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    It means that after going off the boost ramp, you will spend a lot of time above the road (aka. in the air) and land later, losing some time. The more time you are in the air after going off ramps, the slower you are going, which is why lower ramps are faster since you land sooner.

12. Impa

Impa

• MKBoards Supporter
    Switch FC:
    7038-8353-5903
    Thanks! Tricking off ramps with no flip is a technique I have to work on. . .