1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Important !! MKBoards will be moving to a new domain. Please read this thread. for details. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

For Those Wanting to Record MK7...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mankalor, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Mankalor

Mankalor

Team:
    Blitzkrieg
    Hey everyone!

Have you ever wanted to record Mario Kart 7 or other 3DS games in capture card quality, but don't have the funds to buy an expensive 3DS capture card from Katsukity or Loopy?

Well, now you can easily install what's called a custom firmware on a New 3DS or New 3DS XL to install NTR CFW, a program which allows the New 3DS to stream gameplay wirelessly to a computer!
    The process was very complicated when I did it a few months ago, but with recent advancements in the 3DS modding scene, it's much easier now! No extra games needed, basically just file management and launching applications!

Here's an example video of NTR with ideal settings for MK7:

Here's the guide to install custom firmware, NTR is mentioned at the end of the guide: https://3ds.guide/get-started

And once NTR is installed, I HIGHLY recommend installing this program to your computer, called Kit-Kat. It allows much smoother video streaming than the default NTR application, and it's more user-friendly, too (scroll down to find the download links for your OS): http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-kit-kat-the-ultimate-3ds-toolkit-pc-client.453015/

A few things to note:
    1. While the guide says bricking (making your 3ds unusable) is possible at points, don't let this scare you from trying. The guide is safe as long as you follow the steps. It has you make back-ups of your data for safety.
    2. Custom firmware & NTR can be installed on an Old 3DS or 2DS, but video streaming is only possible on New 3DS models. It's a great reason to upgrade!
    3. NTR can only record 3DS games & applications, not DS or virtual console games.
    4. If you want to switch games after booting NTR, you'll have to restart your 3DS, and boot NTR again.
    5. NTR cannot record direct audio, but you can use a 3.5mm audio cable and a program like Audacity to capture direct audio. You can also hold your 3DS close to a microphone to record audio.
    6. If you don't have a micro SD card reader to download the files, buy a microSD to SD card adapter.
    7. You'll need a program like OBS or XSplit to record the video stream.
    8. I don't recommend looking for video tutorials, as those can go out of date fairly quickly. The text guide I shared is the go-to guide, and is updated frequently.
    9. With these mods you can use Input Redirection to play 3DS games with other controllers like an Xbox One controller! More info in the link to Kit-Kat earlier.
    10. With NTR CFW, you can install CTGP-7 fairly easily by scanning a QR code, more info here (look for the NTR CFW method): https://gbatemp.net/threads/mario-kart-7-custom-track-grand-prix-7-ctgp-7.396936/
    If you have any questions, I highly recommend asking them in the 3DS Hacks Subreddit Q&A Thread. It's a great place to keep up with advancements in the 3DS modding scene, plenty of experts there willing to help Noobs! https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/

The latest 3DS firmware at the time of making this post is 11.2. If Nintendo releases an update, I'll try my best to update this post, but check the aforementioned subreddit for updates.

EDIT: 11.4 was released, downgrading and installing custom firmware is not possible. Modify a 11.3 or less New 3DS.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Savannah, Catfish, Chiharu and 5 others like this.
  2. Mence

Mence

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Σ:3 Radical Cats
    Hey thanks for the tutorial @Mankalor. I was wondering what settings you use for the bottom screen, mine seem a bit choppy while my top screen runs smooth for the most part.

Another issue I am having is audio. I am using my aux code and connecting it into my mic jack, and OBS doesn't seem to pick up the audio at all, it records the sound from the built-in microphone. Any solutions?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. Mankalor

Mankalor

Team:
    Blitzkrieg
    There's a setting called "Priority Factor", which prioritizes one screen over the other. By default, it's set to 5, so I recommend setting it 1 to get the same frame rate on both screens. I also lowered the quality value to 40.

As for the audio, use Audacity to record the audio, which outputs the sound to the computer's speaker, and then use OBS to capture that audio. Also, try seeing if any other microphones are available in OBS or Audacity.

Mence likes this.