1. We have moved to a new website: https://mariokartboards.com/ This website will be in a read-only state until October 31, 2018. After this date, mkboards will be deleted and it will become a simply redirect to https://mariokartboards.com/

Decision about the future of mkboards

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BetoMan, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Do you want MKBoards to be resetted and lose everything?

1. Yes, I agree. I want a better forum without tedious bugs

13.8%
  2. No, I don't agree. Even if it has some bugs, it's fine as it is.

86.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BetoMan

BetoMan Professional c dio boia supporter Staff Member

• Administrator
    Team:
    Battle Alliance
    Switch FC:
    4789-3857-0475
    Wiimmfi FC:
    1593 3944 9650
    PLEASE READ.

As you (probably) know there are some issues with mkboards, for example the hav1ng bug (if you try to type hav1ing with the "i" instead of the 1 you'll see an error). That was just an example, there are many other problems with the skins, other special words and with some pictures upload.

These bugs came out because during the years a lot of plugins have been installed properly/not properly, a lot of admin/moderators edited an endless amout of settings, people used to edit skins or templates directly using a wrong coding style. We have also moved mkb to a new server recently (mid/end january) and some config messed up even more but there were already critical problems. flc refused to fix the bugs (same for me) because mkb runs on Xenforo which is a software with a lot of php files. Over 80k lines of uncommented code porco dio so we aren't going to work on this.

We've asked help in the customer service and I was able to talk with a xenforo programmer. Basically him (and later a person from the support) told me that there is a lot of shit and the solution would be to delete everything and do a new fresh install.

Delete everything = this means that we are going to delete the forums and we are going to lose everything (users, threads, post, skins...). Of course we'll keep a backup and we will restore SOME data; everything will be lost but we'll have a good forum with no bugs and less garbage. So far (only the database) is almost 4.8 GB because it has full hd 1080p 5k 2000x2000 random pictures from 2013 that are useless.

SOME = we aren't doing a copy-paste of the old data otherwise the new install would be useless. We'll keep mku/wl standings and fixtures for example, medals, skins and everything possible that we can recover.

In this poll please vote:

1. YES. In this case you AGREE and you want us to delete mkb, clean up everything and start with a new forum. Keep in mind that every user will be lost, every thread will be lost and so on. We will recover the most important posts. If you care about your post/posts, you should make a backup
    2. NO. In this case you DON'T AGREE and you want us to NOT delete mkb. We won't do anything and there will be some bugs around again such has the hav1ng bug. The forum is not impossible to use anyway, it worked for years and it's still here even with some problems. You are fine if the website stays as it is.
    Note that we won't take an immediate decision, we want you to tell us what do you think about this. We may not do anything if we see that this could be dangerous for mkb. We want to warn you about what's going on and have some feedbacks. Ciao

Typhoon, Ash and Stunky like this.
  2. Jozeph

Jozeph

I'd rather keep history

3. Effect

Effect

Cancel this website.

4. Revan

Revan

Team:
    Apocalypse
    can i get a banner on the new mkboards tho ?

5. Oliver

Oliver

Team:
    cat
    anyone else try typing hav1ng after reading this

Revan likes this.
  6. Arvo57

Arvo57

Team:
    GAMT
    Especially after seeing mariokartwii.com go down, I think preserving this part of the community's history is exceptionally important.

Ryoma, Ck Pucka, Edison and 16 others like this.
  7. ~Maidvelia❤~

~Maidvelia❤~ Red Like Roses Staff Member

• Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    Team:
    HD☆, U★, GE
    Wiimmfi FC:
    4297-4674-3102
    Keep the history. There's some very valuable threads on here, even ones that are not stickies (especially the clan threads).

We can only hope that some kind of code analyzer comes out later on, as that would be better than starting from ground zero.

Without MKW.com anymore, we can't afford to lose anymore of our legacy.

8. Fruitz

Fruitz you’re our last hope.

We don't need years of threads deleted similar to what happened on MarioKartWii.com, so deleting all history on here would be not the best idea....

9. Nozzles

Nozzles Winter is coming.

Wiimmfi FC:
    0177-8005-5950
    I think the website is fine to stay as is. Deleting everything is such a major move, even if it would fix the errors the site is currently and has been experiencing. The "havin" issue for example, while annoying at times, isn't that big of a deal, and is easily remedied simply by removing the g or adding a 1.

I use the forums pretty frequently, and I have never been annoyed to the point of not wanting to visit the site anymore, nor have I ever found it to be unusable.
    I really think it'd be better to just leave things the way that they are, until if and when it ever comes to the point of resetting becoming a necessity.

Jahnaya, Twonk, MZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. MZ

MZ

Team:
    FL
  11. Aditya~

Aditya~

Team:
    λρocalypse
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0861-6009-1404
  12. Aditya~

Aditya~

Team:
    λρocalypse
    Wiimmfi FC:
    0861-6009-1404
    BOOM

xSpade24 likes this.
  13. Jahnaya

Jahnaya

Mkboards should stay its find the way it is

14. Libby

Libby

Team:
    Mo, Dαιsγ
    @ace @Stunky

'my summer dare for you tom is to delete mkboards and erase all of competitive mario kart as we know it!'

Zach627, Riyz, Futile and 3 others like this.
  15. Stunky

Stunky Tom | Stunky Staff Member

• Administrator
    Switch FC:
    SW-2658-1230-8324
    Wiimmfi FC:
    2237-2605-0050
    As much fun as it may seem to be, I'm not sure Summer Dares has too much importance as opposed to the "having" bug that the site has :p

Also one thing I'd like to add to people - if we don't decide to restart as of now, we can always question it again at a later date if issues get worse. Regardless though, the changes would take a significant amount of time to perform, and certainly risk the loss of the vast majority of data we have.

Libby likes this.
  16. Din

Din

Team:
    DY 8 | ᴍ¢ 8D
    Switch FC:
    2642-6673-8119
    I wasn't really around in the mariokartwii.com era but I constantly hear about the massive amounts of valuable data and memories that they lost when it went down. Sure while we keep less than a percent of what's here the issues are resolved, but I think keeping everything is far more desired here...I don't think the having issue is a huge deal and its not causing people to leave the community...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  17. xSpade24

xSpade24

Team:
    Mτ - Mulτιvεrsε
    having
    having

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  18. Radi

Radi I'm Canadian, but I'm not

Team:
    Arcadia
    Would there really be no way to restore of all of the posts and users on the site? I'm not too sure how the site handles the coding for that stuff. If it's part of the many lines of code that have to be looked through, then it's understandable as to why they wouldn't be restored. I'm not sure how the posts would be backed up or restored though, maybe it doesn't even involve keeping some of the coding.

As it stands right now, it would be nice to have a site clean of coding errors, but a lot of people seem to want to keep the history, so it's probably best to keep the site as it is right now. That, and it may be difficult to keep people around if everything is gone since they could just start fresh on something else, such as Discord. It could also be difficult to keep new people around if they don't have anything to see and judge the site on. That would probably be the worst outcome possible. It wouldn't be guaranteed to happen, of course, but the majority of the site's users want to keep the information, so the "worst outcome" doesn't really matter at this point.

19. TheKoopaGuy

TheKoopaGuy

Team:
    LVP
    Switch FC:
    7096-8522-9999
    Wiimmfi FC:
    1122-6945-3610
    Let's not delete everything. As people have said, this already happenned with MKW.com. It wouldn't be ideal to lose the information on this site as well

20. SiKH

SiKH

Team:
    JJ
    MKW.com already had a problem losing everything, why risk lose more memories on this forum even if it has minor bugs on it.

21. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    Bro you'd lose everything tf fuck having a fixed word

MZ likes this.
  22. tylerr

tylerr

I agree with everything everyone is saying, but how the hell did nato just post that

23. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    I'd like to keep the stuff as well. Hav1ng thing is the only thing that's affected by, but that's really minor. What are the other features/bugs that are currently messed up by the code at the moment?

and uncommented code, AHHHHHHHHHHH

24. Zinthos

Zinthos

having to delete everything would be very unfortunate :/

25. PhoenixRiku

PhoenixRiku

Can you not export the database entries to an external source and have it linked somewhere on the cleaned forums. Because it seems people are concerned with viewing posts not stuff like post counts and likes. Obviously in terms of forum functionality it would be bare since it would be for viewing.

Guessing in terms of budget and storing this is not an option, but not sure the hosting environment mkboards has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.