1. For the foreseeable future, this website will be in a read-only state. Please visit https://mariokartboards.com/ for our new domain.

A Guide On How To Enjoy MK8 By Forgetting MKW

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Trifroze, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Trifroze

Trifroze Tri me

Team:
    Imperious
    A Guide On How To Enjoy MK8 By Forgetting MKW

Prevent yourself from ruining it on day 1

by Trifroze

Introduction

What was the initial factor that made us appreciate Mario Kart Wii as much as we ended up appreciating it to allow for the game to stay exciting and last for such a long time? Was it clans and communities, or maybe the community as a whole with all the events, drama and fads surrounding it? Was it the overall design of the game on Nintendo's part or the metagame that resulted from all this? What I'm going to bring up is something that's completely different in nature, something that allowed for the aforementioned phenomena to emerge with such a strong presence in the first place. Something that's in your own head.

I consider this perhaps the most important thing to talk about with Mario Kart 8 release closing in as it can save the initial or even entire experience of many people who may not even know of forgetting or not realizing this, or have never had the need to think about it. So what is it then? Well, that's what this article is about and we'll get to that eventually, but let's start off by looking at some of the fundamentals that made MKW what it was.

Fundamentals of MKW's success: design and metagame

While the game has had its more or less apparent flaws, in the end it's built in such a way that every little thing adds up just right to allow for a great balance between the non-random and random, in other words something we more commonly like to call skill and luck. But really, what does random even truly mean in the end? Random is defined as something that's unpredictable, but predictability depends on the observer, so how do we tell what is and isn't random in MKW?

Some people broadened the non-random partition of MKW to themselves by realizing that perhaps they should refuse blaming things on luck and instead take the step to observe the game further, leading to a massive advantage over most players in terms of understanding the game. The people who had this knowledge with the addition of possessing the tech skill to effectively and consistently execute it were what we consider the best MKW players of all time today, and while counting them requires more than the fingers of one person, there truly aren't many who fit this category, however we are not here to list them now. While this is the case, most observers kept the bar on what's random much lower. Yes, in theory everything could be predictable, but if most humans cannot predict something without considerable effort it's considered random by definition. We have the two extremes; the ones I described earlier and the ones who disregard MKW as a party game after playing it for less than two hours.

All of this leads to the point that without some sort of empirical evidence one person isn't justified to define the ratio between skill and luck in MKW no matter how good they are or how much knowledge they have. However, as a person with gameplay and community experience from throughout the years of the game I can safely say that on average, the ratio between skill and luck was considered to be extremely even; the game somehow offers competitiveness through balance and technical depth and entertainment through unexpected and random events both at the same time just about equally. While the reward for executing a single advanced technique or shortcut usually isn't massive, perfecting the game requires a lot of tech skill and there's a lot to learn in terms of both execution and thinking, but at the same time, practically anything can happen. In the end, it's nowhere near the epitome of competitive gaming but it also cannot be shaken off as a party game. MKW offers repetition and new at an arguably perfect ratio.

Fundamentals of MKW's success: community

Another contributing factor to MKW's success was the reception of the game, it sold almost 35 million copies. Everyone knows that 90% of this number consists of people who played only a few times before leaving their copy to collect dust, but quantity has the quality of its own. 10% Out of 35 million is more than 50% out of 5 million. Things moved forward because there were a lot of people pushing them forward with new people constantly coming in, and this is my only, albeit small, concern for MK8; the Wii U's entire install base isn't even a quarter of what MKW sold.

Despite the aforementioned concern I still think the sales for MK8 will be sufficient, so while the poor install base bites off some of the potential MK8 could end up having, these worries are mostly moot. This is because we must differentiate overall audience from the community. Overall audience consists of everyone who buys the game, while community is the tiny minority of players that gets together to talk about it, organize events and actively get better at the game. We, the community will buy the game if it merely looks good and we will keep playing it if it delivers which it most likely will, and the potential newcomers we will lose from the community because of having a smaller overall audience equates to a relatively low number.

Obviously now, the community was the butter on the bread with MKW and enabled a lot of people to stay interested in the game several times longer than what they would've if it was never really established or if it was considerably smaller. Even though a lot of things could've been executed better during its time, it definitely offered us a run for our money. In the end, while sales were a strong factor for the competitive success of MKW, I feel that MK8 with lesser sales may even create a stronger community with the MKW community backing it up and MKB pushing things forward at a faster place while working on pulling new players in.

You can ruin your experience even with good fundamentals

Alright, we've now got an idea of the fundamentals that allowed MKW to create all the commotion it did, but at this point I should mention that these things aren't the important factor I was going for in this article that I talked about in the very beginning. It's something much more basic than that. The reason MKW created such a lasting impression was not the balance between skill and luck alone, it was not the huge sales alone, and it wasn't even both of those things together. It was because no one expected it to do what it did. People didn't set any expectations for the game and it positively surprised the hell out of us.

With this said, there was a small minority who did place expectations for the game and ended up having their experience ruined because of it. I'm talking about some of the people who played MKDS competitively before MKW. They expected MKW to deliver the same things MKDS did, which it didn't, and ignored the fact that it was a great game because it was different from what they wanted, different from what they expected. Probably an even better example of this comes from an entirely different franchise, Super Smash Bros. Expectations for Brawl were so tied to Melee that it brewed a shitstorm that to this day hasn't subsided.

MKW flourished because we weren't looking for anything particular from it, hence we fully took in the new experiences it offered us during our first months or even years with it without constantly comparing it to something else or bashing on it because it wasn't what we wanted. Do not forget this.

Conclusion

So what have we learned? Despite Wiimm's attempts to run a private server which may not even be possible, MKW will be officially dead on May 20th when Nintendo WiFi Connection shuts down globally. When this happens, forget MKW as a game if you're going to buy MK8. Do not expect to get MKW2 when you play it because it won't be the same and it won't replace what the death of MKW takes away. The only things you should safely expect is a new high quality game and a brand new experience, that's literally it. If it flops competitively it can still be casually great or vice-versa, or maybe it'll be great in both aspects but play out totally differently from what we're used to. MK8 is a new game, treat it as such and you might just end up having a wonderful time with it.

Tzuzu, Ridge, robsterinside and 19 others like this.
  2. Mecha

Mecha Banned ;_;

• Banned
    I don't think MK8 will flop competitively from an objective stance, but only if the community gets a negative vibe from expectations. The thing I hope people will do is to forget how MKW plays, because I am very certain MK8's controls and metagame will be different from MKW; we already know it plays like MK7 to some extent, and not everyone from MKW transitioned well into MK7. So if people go into MK8 expecting to wing it because they were a top 10 player on wifi globally, 60ing multiple wars against top clans, you can still be the worst player in MK8, and I would hope people won't attack the game for their own personal shortcomings.

And I say this from an unbiased view, by the way. I was a top player in MK7 (which is considered an irrelevant game to the MKW community anyway) and I was poor on MKW, so it can happen both ways. MKW was fun competitively and had its own playstyle, I admit this even though I'm bad at it, even if I think it is unbalanced to some point.

I thank you for making this article, Twiliz, so people don't get the wrong idea about how they should approach MK8. It will play in its own unique way, so everyone will technically learn a new game from scratch.

Tzuzu, robsterinside, A. and 6 others like this.
  3. Ryuji

Ryuji (`・ω´・)

How to forget about mkw: stop playing the damn game. It isn't hard people.

Ridge, Tzuzu, robsterinside and 7 others like this.
  4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse o mai gah

In other words adapt to change or go find something else to play. I certainly don't want to play the same game for another 6 years, change is good. Even if MK8 ends up with a steep luck curve, people will still carve out a niche to play it on a competitive level, ESPECIALLY if communities have fully customizable item sets.

POW!, Rayze, Marq and 1 other person like this.
  5. Maru

Maru Zura

This is extremely well-written, Twiliz. Much respect to you and your efforts in writing this.

Lion likes this.
  6. Eric

Eric

Team:
    Play It Loud!
    Switch FC:
    0022-0027-5937
    It's sad that this thread even had to be made, but fantastic job nonetheless.

Yonita, greeny, Lion and 5 others like this.
  7. Mangojet

Mangojet

I was thinking the exact same thing. Don't know why people need to be told how to enjoy a game. I'm guessing it's because people feel like the MKW community won't be able to adjust and transfer over to MK8. Moreover, I hope nobody is really expecting disappointment because the community will be small. The game will do just fine, similar to how MK7 was able to manage even with a small community.

Then again, there are people in this forum who have only played MKW from the entire Mario Kart series. Makes me feel old and out of place.

Yonita, robsterinside, Marq and 2 others like this.
  8. Trifroze

Trifroze Tri me

Team:
    Imperious
    It's a rather common thing to consider the older to be better due to nostalgia and being afraid to give new things a chance, so I don't think it's that sad (relatively, the whole phenomenon in itself is sad) this had to be made especially when considering what kind of an impact MKW had. Seen it with a lot of games, even single player ones.

9. Mangojet

Mangojet

What I meant was more along the lines of, if mkw is giving off nostalgia to some people then I am really getting old. Getting old is sad :(

10. DawnKnight

DawnKnight Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    The Bilderbergs
    The MK8 community will likely be much larger than the post-2011 MKW community since most MKW and MK7 active players alike are making the switch. (Assuming people don't RQ like they did with MK7, but this isn't likely due to MKW being forced to die)

I've been told by French people that there are 26 French teams openly saying they'll make MK8 their main focus...The clan scene will be much larger than MKW's ever was imo.

11. Mangojet

Mangojet

The french always representing the Mario Kart community (flex)

Likewise, I think the wii U was a large success in France from what I heard.

12. Maru

Maru Zura

From what it seems, based on the amount of negative replies I've gotten when I've said exactly similar to what you have said, you're definitely right. Unfortunately to them, MKW is a way of life and once it goes down, the five stages of loss will operate; denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and oh I hope so... acceptance that MKW is no more.

As far as a demographic in MK's fanbase, those people will probably be similar to Melee elitists, sadly, especially if Wiim's server is up and running, much to the pleasure of these people.

Lion likes this.
  13. Rollergold

Rollergold Rosa Boi

Team:
    Unity
    Personally let the MKW elitists have their private servers, less whiners in our part of the woods. It's time to move on and start fresh. The game was fun and all but its an 8 year old game people. Time to move on

Nester, Lion, Noah and 1 other person like this.
  14. POW!

POW!

6 roller :p and yea I'm also ready for something new like everyone else since mk7 didn't surpass the massive activity mkw had

15. Rollergold

Rollergold Rosa Boi

Team:
    Unity
    Oh ya it is 6
    But ya MK8 will have more activity since it's either MK8 or nothing in terms of the home console. MK7 never did it for me, the tiny screen of the 3ds gave me headaches after an hour of play.

16. flc

flc Professional Site Breaker

good grief I didn't even know there were 26 french people with wii us let alone 26 teams

Lion, Marq, Noah and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mecha

Mecha Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Expect most of them to die or have no relevance outside their home country.

18. Sol64

Sol64

Unfortunately, you'd be VERY, VERY surprised.

But yeah, Mkwii is the first home console mario kart game that has online WI-FI so we never really had any base for expectations for it. If anything, it set the base in stone, hence why some dislike mk7. Of course having played said mk7, we re-evaluating the situation because mkwii is no longer gonna be with us soon and mk7 will set itself as the new base and we're forced to accept it.

With that, we're hoping to have mk8 as a great game because not only is it a home console (which the west loves writing home to about as to the east's handhelds), it's a brand new game and because of how the previous titles were, we are going to go into this with expectations. Even if we don't like it (God forbid) we only have mk7 to fall back into and unless you have an individual mind or preference, everyone is pretty much going to move on with the new installment and is going to have to learn to learn/like/love/adapt to it.

19. TysonBane

TysonBane

Good read that pretty much sums up how I feel. I'm not going into this looking for MKW 2.0, I'm in this for a whole new experience after 5-6 years of the same. Even if the servers weren't shutting down I had no intention of ever going back to MKW once 8 was released. Good times and good memories but it's time to move forwards.

20. Hydro

Hydro

Team:
    Black and White
    After playing in HD I don't know how anyone would ever want to go back

21. Kevout

Kevout

welp

Typhoon, Luso, KP♪ and 6 others like this.
  22. Jeff

Jeff I'm not cocky, I'm just confident

well, that was before people realized how broken 8 is

KP♪ and Yassine like this.
  23. KP♪

KP♪ R x K

Team:
    XF - Crossfire
    throwback friday tbh

Never actually seen this thread. Interesting points.

24. Yonita

Yonita

Switch FC:
    SW-1596-0129-0510
    Wiimmfi FC:
    5288-8127-9866
    After spending so many years playing Mario Kart Wii using inside-drift bikes? It's not going to be easy adjusting to Mario Kart 8. I must be in the very, very vast minority to say that Mario Kart Wii was my favorite Mario Kart, in terms of physics.

25. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月

Team:
    about half the site did the complete opposite of this