Terms of Service and Rules
MKBoards Forum Rules (Updated December 31st 2017)
Here at MKBoards.com, we strive to create an environment that fosters the ability for every member to compete and have fun while playing Mario Kart. In addition, given the nature of human interaction, we also wish to promote a place where players can build and maintain relationships they have created here on our lovely site. We, the MKBoards staff, wish to do everything in our power to preserve these notions and thus have designed this ruleset to help create the best possible atmosphere for everyone.
The Point System
MKBoards uses a warning system that distributes a certain amount of points to users that break the rules of MKBoards. These points do not expire and accumulate, which can lead to disciplinary action against the user in the form of a ban of varying lengths. Below is the layout we use for giving out points (details are listed in the subsequent sections):
4 Points + 1 week ban
7 Points + 2 week ban
Piracy/Hacking/Illegal Activities/Harassment/Pornography (depending on severity):
10-14 points + 2/3 month ban
15 points/Perma ban
Creating Alternate (Alt) Accounts:
1st strike = Warning
2nd strike = 4 points
Further strikes = 7 points
This strike system is intended for newer users who aren't familiar with the rules and create/use an alternate account. If staff determine that a user creates and uses an alternate account with intent to deceive or otherwise manipulate MKBoards site rules or other people, the user will receive an indefinite ban.
Examples of alternate account creation that would result in an indefinite ban (based upon staff discretion) include but are not limited to: - Signing up for a league - Signing up for a tournament - Signing up while being banned either from the site or an event hosted on the site.
Note: Team accounts are not permitted on the site.
Accumulation of points:
Passing 8 points after the points are given double ban lengths.
Passing 11 points after the points are given quadruple ban lengths.
Passing or hitting 15 points = indefinite or permanent ban.
Any points that have not expired prior to September 4th, 2015 will remain and not disappear.
Indefinite vs. Permanent bans: Accumulating 15 points will lead to an indefinite ban with the option to appeal. While indefinitely banned, users must follow Section 9 “Appeals” of the ruleset in order to appeal properly. If they appeal and fail three times, they will become permanently banned with no option to appeal. Users who break Section 7C “Illegal Activities” of the ruleset will be permanently banned on the spot.
In addition to enforcing the site rules, we enforce guidelines for each subforum, contained in a stickied thread. Repeatedly violating these guidelines will result in a warning from staff followed by a minor offense.
Things to remember before/while reading the rules
- The MKBoards Staff uphold the right to use this ruleset as a guideline, as well as handle cases within their own discretion.
- Concerns regarding a staff decision should be relayed to the appropriate staff managers or administrators. Making a public thread will not aid your case.
- In addition to the above, hostility and forcefulness in any shape or form towards a staff group will not aid your case and may warrant a warning or infraction.
- Use the report button! Though the MKBoards Staff are on the boards every day, we don't always see everything. Help us out by reporting posts that are against the rules! Spamming reports in a non-serious manner does not help!
- Posting something that is meant to be a harmless joke does not automatically make it an acceptable post. If you think your post might be offensive to someone else, just don’t post it.
- Remember that every member is a real person behind a computer screen. Our actions and comments affect others, so please think carefully before you post.
- Users with a banner under their name that includes the word “staff” are expected to be role models and display outstanding good behavior for other members to follow. Punishments will be more severe for users that are part of any kind of “staff” on MKBoards.
- These rules can be updated at any point by the staff.
- All appeals and significant rule changes have the ability to be overturned by a 2/3 majority vote within the current MKBoards staff team.
1) MKBoards has an age restriction
In compliance with COPPA, if you are or claim to be under the age of 13, you will be banned immediately. Additionally, though people under the age of 13 may not own an account, some site visitors may be under the age of 13. MKBoards users are urged to refrain from swearing, as it is not censored on the site and it’s not something we would like our guests to see.
2) Statute of Limitations
MKBoards will reject reports if the reported offense is older than a designated amount of time, and is not deemed a major violation.
- On-site offenses will be rejected if they are older than 3 months
- Off-site offenses will be rejected if they are older than 2 months
3) Behavioral Policy
Our Behavioral Policy focuses on users that receive thread-bans for disturbing the nature of any threads.
As a general guideline, you will receive a thread-ban given by staff if you are:
- Derailing an important thread
- Intimidating or targeting a member or a group of the community
- Extreme spamming with no solid reason given
People who are seen to receive moderator or admin given thread bans may be given a behavior warning, and may be infracted as a culmination of these. Standard disciplinary action would be a 3 point infraction per 4 thread-bans.
To clarify, thread owners are able to request users to be banned from their thread if a solid reason is given. An exception to this exists where no reason has to be given for Player Hubs and clan threads. In the event that thread owners are displaying problematic behavior that violates our Behavioral Policy or other rules, their rights to request thread-bans may be taken away and/or they will be thread-banned.
We will not give behavior warnings to those who receive thread owner requested thread-bans unless we review the reasoning for the thread-ban and deem a behavior warning necessary, and/or the reason for the thread-ban violates our Behavioral Policy.
4) Minor Offenses
Minor offenses are conduct/behavioral violations that are not entirely unbecoming of the MKBoards mission, but are also things we would rather not see. Below is the list of “Minor Offenses”:
- Excessive swearing
- Repeatedly violating and neglecting subforum guidelines
- Abuse of site features
- Advertising your monetized or competing site
- Taking your frustration out on others due to some external force
- Slandering, intimidating, and/or mocking the boards and staff
- Mii names containing inappropriate words, slurs, or that are targeted at other members of the board in an extremely negative way
- Abusing the report system (spam-reporting, reporting posts which aren't rule-breaking, etc.) Excessive tagging/liking posts from a single member
- Committing a Minor Offense will result in a warning, thread-ban, or infraction.
5) Moderate Offenses
These offenses are more severe than minor offenses. Below is the list of “Moderate Offenses”:
- Repeating minor offenses
- Posts telling others to harm themselves in any way
- Posts making fun of any physical or mental disability, which includes (but is not limited to): Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, etc.
- Attempting to create or causing personal drama with another member on-site
- Posts that degrade other members
6) Major Offenses
These offenses are more severe than moderate offenses. Below is the list of “Major Offenses”:
- Repeating moderate offenses
- Posts that belittle new members
7) Piracy/Hacking/Pornography/Illegal Activities/Harassment
These offenses will result in a ban of varying length. Each one has its own subsection to further describe what is considered to be ban-worthy.7A) Piracy
Providing links to illegal media, such as game ISO's or ROMS, on MKBoards is not permitted. The sole exception to this is cosmetic and otherwise non-malicious game modifications for Mario Kart Wii (i.e. music hacks, unlock everything hacks, 9999VR hacks, etc). The only codes that are allowed to be on the forum are contained at http://www.forums.mkboards.com/threads/staff-verified-gecko-codes-and-how-to-use-them.17198/. All of the codes in this thread are verified by the staff.7B) Hacking
Should league, World Cup, or Tournament Organiser staff determine a player is hacking on Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7, or Mario Kart 8, the following will happen:
- If the player was hacking on Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart 7, they will receive a 2-year site and league ban.
- If the player was hacking on Mario Kart 8, they will receive a 2-year site ban, and an indefinite/permanent league ban.*
Hacking, in this case, means using hacks for malicious intent, such as the following:
- Advantageously hacking in time trials, worldwides, funrooms, scrimmage wars, league matches, etc. anything in-between
Hacks without malicious intent, such as the following, will not be punished:
- Any Staff-Verified codes
- Texture hacking (non-advantageous)
- Modifying game music (non-advantageous)
- Any codes within cheat-endorsed private rooms
*Note: For Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the hacking system will be as follows:
Step 1 – MKBoards Staff receive a notification from MKU Staff about someone they believe has potentially hacked, and they provide MKBoards Staff the evidence they have to date and indefinitely ban them from the league. However, the accused would remain unbanned on MKBoards during this week.
Step 2 – MKBoards Staff has a 1 week period where they investigate the case; they talk to all relevant parties, gather as much information as they can about the case, including talking to the accused and possibly impartial hacking experts.
Step 3 – They take all of the information they've gathered and present it to the MKU Staff.
Step 4 – MKU Staff re-review the data and make a final decision, taking into account all of the relevant factors and testimonies. MKBoards Staff that are not in MKU Staff will have no influence/input in this decision.
Step 5 – MKU Staff come back to MKBoards Staff with their verdict. MKBoards Staff will follow this verdict without fault.
While we do not punish players directly for non-maliciously texture hacking, remember that the Players' Page (http://www.mariokart64.com) punishes players for using texture hacks.
Players who were placed on a ban list for hacking before May 28th, 2016 will not be banned from the site. Only players who are caught hacking after May 28th, 2016 will be banned from the site.
Using MKBoards as a medium for performing illegal, harmful, and/or dangerous activities is strictly prohibited. Punishment for doing so is a permanent ban.
To clarify, any severe illegal activities related to MKBoards members that occur off-site may also be considered at staff discretion.
Posting explicitly inappropriate or graphic content on MKBoards is not allowed. These posts will be removed and the member will receive an indefinite ban based upon staff discretion.
Graphic Content may include but is not limited to:
There is a difference between NSFW and pornography. Soft NSFW images (i.e. not sexually provocative but would not be appropriate for viewing at work) are fine when clearly marked and placed within a NSFW spoiler. If you have any doubt as to whether or not your post will be seen as NSFW, put it in a NSFW spoiler.
To place a spoiler in your post, copy and paste the following code:
[spoiler=NSFW] Place text / image here [/spoiler]
Failure to mark these images clearly will result in a punishment based upon staff discretion.7E) Harassment
The MKBoards team takes any form of harassment very seriously. The term ‘harassment’ can be found in many different forms; below are different forms of harassment as well as the corresponding punishment users will receive for violations thereof:Harassment worthy of indefinite bans:
- Sexual harassment
- Releasing personal information about others without consent
- Witch hunting (Trying to target and humiliate someone)
When evaluating a harassment case, MKBoards Staff look at the following factors to determine the appropriate punishment:
- Public chat or private chat?
- Serious discussion chat or shitpost chat?
- Victim genuinely being offended or acting out of spite?
- Friends, co-workers (other staff), or strangers?
- Was there malicious intent with the offender?
- If an offense is towards a specific individual(s), was the report by someone observing it or the individual(s) the offense was directed to?
- Did the individual(s) that the offense was directed to, actually get offended?
- Repetitive occurrence or one-time occurrence?
If you believe a user is harassing you or someone else, please contact staff at email@example.com Whenever possible, provide any helpful screenshots and/or chat logs to supplement the report. To clarify, we handle cases that are on-site and off-site.
8) Self Bans
We understand that it may be difficult to stay away from coming to websites. If you feel that you need to be forced to stay away from MKBoards for your own reasons, you may request a self-ban.
To do this, find any MKBoards staff member (anyone with a red or blue username) and send them a private message telling that person you want to request a self-ban or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you want to return, contact us at email@example.com
Each user is granted three opportunities to self-ban. After the third, the user will lose their privileges to self-ban.
If you receive a month-long or indefinite ban that you feel shouldn’t have been given to you, you have the right to appeal your ban thrice. You must wait 2 months in-between appeals. Please keep in mind that you will be unable to appeal if you were banned for illegal activities.
You cannot appeal to MKBoards Staff if you have been banned for hacking -- if you hacked on Mario Kart Wii, you must appeal to WL Staff. If you hacked on Mario Kart 8, you cannot appeal.
In your appeal, you should include:
- As many relevant details to your case as you can provide
To appeal, go to the “Appeals” subforum located underneath "Site Discussion", or “Appeals” located underneath "Council" under Wiimmfi League and post a new thread. You cannot edit your post while banned, so proof-read before you post.
Keep in mind that before you are able to post in the subforums, a certain amount of the ban’s duration must have already passed. For each of the ban lengths, here is how much time must pass:
- 1 week ban - N/A (may not appeal)
- 2 week ban - N/A (may not appeal)
- 1 month ban - 2 weeks from the time the ban was given
- 2 year ban for hacking on Mario Kart Wii - Any time after the ban was given
- Indefinite ban - 6 weeks from the time the ban was given
- Permanent ban - N/A (may not appeal)
If the respective amount of time has passed and you are still unable to view the appeal subforum, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
10) Staff Guidelines
MKBoards hosts a variety of tournaments and leagues, namely the Wiimmfi League (WL), Mario Kart Universal (MKU), and the Mario Kart World Cup (MKWC or WC). In addition to the MKBoards moderation team, we are glad to have volunteers that staff and organize these events. These staff members are given special banners below their forum name while they are performing their duties. Since these users have special responsibilities, they are expected to act as role models and behave as such while carrying out their tasks for the league staff they belong to.
Users that are a part of any kind of Staff affiliated with MKBoards are held to a higher standard. In addition to be being bound by the code of conduct here, Staff members that violate MKBoards behavioral standards on or off-site will face stricter consequences:
- A Staff member who violates MKBoards’ code of conduct will receive a stern warning from the MKBoards administration. The administrator of the organization to which the offending Staff member belongs will also be notified of the offense, and will be expected to take measures to correct the behavior.
- A Staff member who earns a second violation may be subject to a suspension or demotion from staff. This action will be done by MKBoards staff, not the corresponding league administrator of the involved offender. The length of the suspension will be given by staff discretion.
Leaders of leagues and organizations hosted by MKBoards are responsible for the actions of their staff members. The respective admins are expected to actively keep their staff members behaving professionally while carrying out their duties and completing tasks. This means taking measures to prevent possible bad behavior before it happens, and making sure to encourage good behavior in everything their staff team says and does.
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.
We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
These terms may be changed at any time without notice.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.
Thanks and enjoy the forums!
Contact us at email@example.com
Mission Statement by former staff member Jake, format and structure by MKBoards Staff.