1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Staff would like to offer a free name change to all users (including those that do not have supporter status) over Christmas weekend! Name changes will start being accepted at 12:00am EST on December 23 and they will stop being accepted at 12:00am EST on December 26. Please message any staff member and request a name change. You may find contacts on this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Spiny Shell/Red Shell "Tactic" for MK7

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by EazyG, Nov 20, 2017.

1. EazyG

EazyG

Team:
    None (looking)
    So one time I was playing on Cheep Cheep Lagoon, and I was in 1st place. I saw that a blue shell was coming my way, and I was approaching the first jump of the course, which had a boost pad on it. I intentionally stopped near the boost pad so that when I got hit, I boosted on the pad to regain momentum quicker.

Does anyone else want to share any thoughts? Is this viable in your opinion?

2. DT_LINK

DT_LINK

Team:
    Champi-Brothers
    This thing is viable but only if you do that with a good timing. For example if you see the blue shell on the mini-map and then you wait near the boost during few seconds, is not really effective. But if you have the icon of the BS on you on your screen, and you jump at this moment on the boost, so yes is a good thing.

If you don't have a boost at proximity, you also can jump in the hole, but it is effective if you use a hole that give you a good respawn

3. H-Bomb✩

H-Bomb✩

It's a good option if you happen to be next to a boost panel by the exact time it reaches you.

Of course, it does depend if the track has boost panels to begin with. So I find that tracks like snes rainbow road where you can fall off upon upcoming spiny shells (timed so that it explodes as you fall out of bounds) and then boost upon respawning can be an effective alternative.