1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can click here to download a zip file containing WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

[SNES] Rainbow Road

Discussion in 'Triforce Cup' started by DannyZhu, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter

Aiming for the 9-coin part

Well first of all,do a right hop then a left hop,then a right slide and a left slide. Right after doing the left slide,start softdrifting instantly.

Then hop right after the trick,don't slide ( I do slides because it feels better for the next turn but slower )

The 9-coin turn part

You should start your drift after doing either the slide after the hop,or 2 slides,by leaving completely your pad in a neutral position, then at the 3rd and 4th coin you should go on the left

You should have this kind of air after releasing your smt,as for the hop,only move your pad on the left to make your hop going on the left,then don't touch it anymore

Then do 2 other hops the same way as the first one,and start the drift by going neutral.

Third turn and next straight

Right after you've started your drift by going neutral, you'll have to softdrift only a little at a specific place,then go back to the neutral position,then go back to the softdrift position,then release your SMT starting by a right hop.

Right after you've done 5 hops,do 2 slides going on the right ( if you are affected by Thwomp's wave, delay your slides and make them longer. )

Fourth turn and next straight

This track is all about taking the turns tight. The inputs are also very important. Most of the turns on this track are softdrifted. Don't play it safe, try to take every corner with only one or even zero tyres on the track.

Optimal combo for this track:
    • Super Heavy weight character (I, however, advice you to use (Dry) Bowser)
    • Mach 8
    • (Cyber) Slicks
    • Acceleration Glider
    Lap 1:
    After the startup boost, do two hops, right-left. Do two slides, right-left and start softdrifting to the right. Keep softdrifting the entire turn. Sometimes you're not able to keep softdrifting without falling off so you'll have to tap left for a split second.
    Release your smt on the red-orange tiles to get a boosted trick off the upcoming waves.
    Do the following hop pattern: left-left-right-left-right, the last right should be on the first wave. You can sometimes get a trick off of it, but it will mess up your angle most of the time so it's better not to get it. Do a left hop off the wave and you should land on the second wave. Trick and do a right hop, right slide and drift to the right.

Second turn and straight:
    Start the turn by softdrifting, until the edge of the first part. It's not necessary, but I like to tap left there for a better angle.
    Then keep softdrifting until the first two coins, or a little before. Hold the pad neutral when you get the first coins, or a little before.
    Until the third and fourth coin, don't move the pad at all, unless you have a weird angle and you want to tap left. When you get the third and fourth coin, start holding left. Not a full left, but a softdrift left position.
    If you feel like you're going a little bit too wide, you can tap right. With Bowser's gigantic hitbox, you won't have to worry about actually grabbing the coins, since most of the time you will get them even if you think you missed them.
    Right before the ramp, hold right for a tiny bit to go as tight as possible.
    Release your smt with a left hop (I used to accidentally neutral hop over the ramp, don't do it) right before the ramp.
    Don't release it too late, you will get a high ramp and it will cost time. You can sometimes get both coins on the ramp, which is why I use Bowser. Because he's so big, you will get both almost all the time, while with Morton/Wario/Heavy Mii you will barely ever get it.
    After you've hopped over the ramp, do two left hops. Unless you're very far to the right, try not to make the hops full left input. I like to do soft hops (hops in a softdrift position) while holding neutral in between the hops.

Third turn and straight:
    The second left hop you did should be a drift. Softdrift the turn while holding your stick like this:
    Again, if you have a weird angle you might have to tap right. Hold this position until this certain spot, where you're supposed to hold your stick like this:
    (around the purple tiles)
    Release your smt right here:
    and do the following hop pattern: right-left-right-left-right. If you're able to outspeed the thwomp's waves, you should do two right slides while getting the eighth or ninth coin. If you're affected by the waves, make your slides longer.

Fourth turn and straight:
    Drift to the right after the two slides. Start your drift by holding left. Then start softdrifting right here:
    Hold your stick neutral for a split second right here:
    Then hold a softdrift left position right here:
    Start softdrifting to the right again here:
    Hold left a little bit and release your smt right here:

Make sure not to release it too close to the edge, you will fall off.
    Very complicated turn, I know, but this is the fastest way to do it.
    Do the following hop pattern: left-right-left-right. Don't do five hops, only do four. Start sliding right afterwards and try to keep alternating between left and right.
    If you're at 29.4 pace or lower, you don't have to make these slides very long and you can get a trick on the waves, which saves a little bit of time.
    If you're at 29.5 pace or higher, try to make the slides very long. The thwomp waves will be very harsh and you will lose a little bit of time, without there being anything you can do about it.
    It's important to not try to do any extra or very quick slides at any pace, it's simply not worth it. I would also recommend ending with a left slide, as it will help getting the smt on the last turn.

Last turn and first shroomspot:
    After the last slide, start drifting to the right. Softdrift for a little bit and then hold left. Start softdrifting again right here:
    and release your smt right here:

Shroom at 29.4 pace or lower:
    After releasing your smt, do left-right. It's very important NOT to trick on the waves, as tricking costs over .1. At this pace, there's a gigantic wave you have to dodge.
    smh
    After doing left-right, wait until you're after the wave and do a left hop while you're still in the air.
    You will get a 'jammed' hop.
    Then shroom after doing another right and keep alternating between left and right hops. I like adding another left hop before the first turn, but you can also do a right slide.
    This is what it should look like:

Shroom at 29.5-29.8 pace: After releasing your smt, do left-right, and wait a little bit before doing the next hop. Because you're already going over the wave at the second hop, you will get air time and a weird angle.
    Continue by doing this: left-right-(shroom-)left-left-right-right-left-right-right drift.
    (taken from Diogo's 1:24.642)

Shroom at any slower pace: The waves shouldn't really affect you anymore, so just keep alternating between left and right hops.

Lap 2 and 3 differences:
    After the first smt, do the following slide pattern: left-right-right. If you're too close to the edge or you're just not comfortable with this you can do left-right, which is a little bit slower.

The second turn on lap 2 and 3 is pretty much the same as the fourth turn on every lap: drift to the right and start by softdrifting.
    Hold your stick neutral for a split second here:
    Then start holding left immediately after:
    Keep holding left until right here and then start softdrifting to the right again

On the straight between the third and fourth turn, you will be affected by the thwomp's waves. After the hops, slide on to the waves and do one or two tricks. Don't do more, as you will have a bad angle for the next turn. Keep sliding in between the tricks.

On the splitpath lap 2 (and sometimes lap 3), you have to use your shroom. After releasing your smt, do left-right-left-right-left and shroom after the fifth hop, so the last 'left' and and do right-left-right-left. I like to add another left slide, but this is not necessary.

After the last turn, depending on which shroomstrat you use, you have to use your shroom. The reason why we shroom here is to dodge the first thwomp on lap 3. A guaranteed dodge is around 29.5 27.2, but you can still dodge it with .6 .2; .5 .3 etc. Only shroom here if you're at that pace (and if you want to, if you're at 1:26.8 or higher pace to dodge the thwomp at the end of lap 3). If you don't shroom here, do left and right slides and shroom on the splitpath lap 3.
    If you're at 29.4 27.0 or lower pace: The shroom will be the exact same as the 29.4 pace shroom on lap 1.
    If you're at 29.4 27.1 or higher pace: You still have to hop over the wave, but you won't get a 'jammed' hop because the wave will already have disappeared by then. Do the following hop pattern: left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right-left-right. Don't try to add another left/right hop/slide, it will not work.
    The second shroom pace is faster, which is the reason why my lap 3s are never really that good.

Everything else about lap 2 and 3 is the same.

2. Nearo

Nearo

Team:
    High Definition
    wait I thought I finished this lol,guess I'll do it in 3 days

3. hilmar

hilmar

Team:
    vf
    Will u finish this?o_O

4. Tzuzu

Tzuzu 美月 MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
  5. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    I finished the guide, if there are any questions feel free to ask them and I will try to help you out the best I can.

Rhodechill2 likes this.
  6. Sergeant Guy

Sergeant Guy

Team:
    not svc
    Great guide Danny, however can you explain why 4 hops after the 3rd u-turn is faster than doing 5 hops? Is it because of the track's physics, the boost running out, etc? thank

7. Harm

Harm Jupiter Drive

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    best guide, thank

DannyZhu likes this.
  8. DannyZhu

DannyZhu

• MKBoards Supporter
    both i think :p