1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can click here to download a zip file containing WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Mount Wario

Discussion in 'Star Cup' started by Luso, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Luso

Luso mk8 is the superior game

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    imperious

Hello, I'm Luso, you may know me or not and I've had World Records on Mount Wario since December, but after retiring from MK8 I haven't had it back, still my knowledge on the course is high and I want to bring you this guide because I feel the track is somewhat underrated due to its difficulty, and my goal is to help people get better at it, if you're aiming for top 10 this could be useful, if you still have problems I probably wont be able to help you, I normally help closer friends for that. So, with that said, I hope you find this useful, if there's anything you don't understand let me know.

Section 1:

- We begin with the first ramp, where we can either go for the low jump or try drifting on it with a low jump to get the MT. The fastest way is the drift with an MT but you can live without it. If you go for the low jump without MT, hopping after, or sliding is all useless, not faster at all, so don't bother doing it if you don't like it.

- Next up, we face a few turns with 3 coins, pick them up and go tight, and release your MT just when you've gone really tight since it gives you a boost:

- Hop onto the ramp and trick on it, don't try getting the low jump because it's not faster.

3rd Ramp / Ice Ramp:

Aim towards it and drift off it, don't go too tight, and don't go too wide either, aim for the edge of it and not exactly close to the white part, but closer to the left than the right. The closer to the white ramp, the harder it is to get the low jump/launch low jump.
    - This is pretty hard to master, once you get it going you might experience getting the low jump on it, or in extreme cases the low jump with launch included, once you land release your MT as soon as possible and do 2 slides to the left, after those, charge an SMT in the next turn and release it with a slide right and later, a new drift.

Rock SC:

- With this new drift you have to turn a bit wide and do a turn as if you were making a circle, a bit before you leave the ground you use your shroom, just after you leave the ice, release your drift (and MT of course), and go for the rock, after hitting the rock drift again (press R) to reallign (mid-air). You may also experience not hitting the rock and getting a launch. This is very hard to learn, and even knowing it you may suffer a lot hitting the rock and getting a nice boost, even me who goes for WR fails here a ton of times. Or I'd rather say in all Section 1. You will be restarting a lot here.

Section 2:

- We begin with an easy mt right and charging another one left while picking up 4 coins. the MT left is kept until a bit before you hit the ground (water) If you wait too long to release the smt you won't get it, and if you release it too early you lose time, it's something really easy once you get the hang of it.

- Take as tight lines as possible during the cave transition, if not you'll lose a ton of time, be careful with the rocks though, after restarting a lot you'll end up getting tight lines by default here.

Cave Ramp aka low jump SMT:

- Do a drift right before it, not too early, not too late, this is one of the easiest things to fail here, you can either get a regular low jump with an MT, a high jump with an SMT (These 2 are same speed) or a low jump and the SMT which is the fastest obviously, and is about .150 faster. As I mentioned this is one of the easiest things to fail (as for getting the low jump SMT) but getting it will help a lot (especially for the boost pads we'll talk about later). If you do the SMT, softdrift real hard to charge it (you'll fail it if not) and make sure you do a hop before you drift off the stairs, it saves a ton of time. Don't start the ramp too tight, if not you won't be able to do the SMT and 2 hops, aim for the middle-left side of the ramp.The low jump SMT can be seen clearly here: Skip to 0:46

Now I will divide 2 sections in the guide depending on your pace, you can see the limit here:
    Ignore the fire hops on metal part (its horrible) and tricking on the ramp (old WR)

Right Boost Pads (23.500 S1 without low jump SMT or higher):

***Before I start these boost pads guides you may have to consider your S2 begining lines too***

- Start very tight and pull right once you're on the antigravity section:

- Release your SMT when you go onto the metal floor and do 3 hops, delay your last 2 hops a bit and make them last 2 very quick if possible because you get a better trick after, aim a tad wide or not depending on your pace, you'll see it after a few tries. When you land slide right and hop left or if you get very big air time do hop right and hop left, and we land on the first boost pad; we encounter ourselves with 3 perfectly alligned boost pads which are very easy once you've learned how to do them, I must admit I suffered learning how to do them properly but once learned, it's fairly easy. We're going to pick up an old World Record from Tsuki here:
    Skip to 0:54
    And skip to 0:54 to see what I'm talking about, Aim for the left side of the ramps to avoid air time, and better allignment and lines overall. It's as simple as firehopping 4 times per boost pad (first 2 boost pads) and then on the last one, do 5 quick hops instead of 4, use your shroom mid air after that 5th hop (just after you pick up the coin or not):

and hop 3 times, on your 3rd hop you should've landed on the ramp and get a nice boosted trick. If you feel confident, have your 5th hop end on a left hop and charge an MT of the ramp (It's not as useful as on left boost pads). You might have to rewatch this part a few times but I can't stress how important it is, as I said I suffered learning it but it's worth. If you miss the coin you can pick up there sucks to be you, gotta pick it up section 3, like many WR runs. You obviously lose some time due to this.

Left Boost Pads (23.500 S1 with low jump SMT or lower)

- Start tight until the antigrav, where you go a tad wide and release your SMT:

- For your first hop you should get a good amount of air time and have 2 quick hops before the ramp, if you had a very fast S1, you can charge an MT on this ramp and drag it into the boost pad, as done by Danny in his latest WR, if you don't do this MT, when you land do a hop left and another one right which should make you land on the boost pad. On the first boost pad your hop pattern should be right-left-right-right. Your second boost pad can be different depending on your allignment (due to your pace before). But if it's possible the best way to do firehop is left-right-left-left (If you're not fast enough you may have to do a right hop at the end instead of left)
    On your 3rd boost pad you do 4 hops unlike right boost pads where you did 5 (check guide before) because there's no time for 5 hops. As well as before the best hop pattern is right-left-right-left (If you finished with a right hop on 2nd boost pad you will have to do left-left-right-left) Which is overall a bit slower. You must end with a hop left to be able to release your shroom with hops right-left-right (you land on the ramp) <- Please don't trick if you went for left boost pads, MT saves a lot specially if you get a low jump.

- After all this drama we're heading to the tree section, but before, a big common fail by most players, landing after the 2nd shroom if you tricked:

*If you trick off the ramp: You have to land WITH a slide, and then do slides, do NOT land with a hop or anything stupid, just land doing a slide, simple as that.

*If you charge an MT off the ramp: Release your MT a bit after you touch the ground, not too early not too late, start with a slide left;

- Do a few slides (left-left-right-right); 2 slides right to get a faster 3rd shroom up the snow towards the glider.

- Land a bit before the log
    Trick, and start turning right (not drift right, just turn), keep on turning right and you trick off the second log, and now you're on the good lines. Softdrift real hard and do a pattern of 3 hops (left-left-right) this last right hop is pretty much half-right, half-neutral, as well as the next SMT charge left, to get a better chance of getting the SMT towards Section 3.

Section 3:

- Release the SMT just as the snow ramp starts going down with a hop right and then charging an MT when hopping onto the ramp. There's 3 fast ways of doing this ramp. The first one is when you get the low jump off the ramp and you're far to the left, getting an MT charge and a couple slides; the second one being also a low jump, but being in the middle and when you land, you counter drift and trick on the 2nd ramp. The third one is a high jump off the ramp, and charging an MT over the 2nd ramp, release with 3 slides, as done by Danny in his 1.40.250 run.

- The lines require fast MT releases, taking extremely tight lines to go over the bumpy snow. When releasing the MT, you don't start the next drift right away, but you wait for the MT to almost finish and then start with the next drift.

******ENDING HOPS******

- Release your SMT just as you hit the blue antigravity pad
    And your 2nd hop should be neutral or right, if it feels more comfortable for you (I do it neutral and Tyler does a hop right) also make sure the 2nd hop is slightly delayed, please don't delay it forever, just don't do it as fast as you can, you can get the feeling by watching videos where they are done perfectly, The speed of the hops will vary depending on your positioning for the SMT release. If you are lucky (please note the hops are quite luck based and you'll be restarting for years and failing great runs here) you'll land just on the snow before the boost pad, As for the next hops, I don't do full side hops (aka pull as far as you can while turning) but I pull mid way, as if they were slides, (I pull diagonal down: / & \ but it doesn't affect the air time) hop left on the boost pad and get a ton of air time, landing on the snow, hop right as you land on the snow and land on the next boost pad which should send you flying towards the last boost pad (which can be missed due to bad allignment). Also going to add mising boost pads by pixels is quite common and frustrating, but this is a wario track so it's pure troll. When going through the rings, after you hit the 3rd one pull down and do a counter drift to charge an mt left, release the MT and do a couple slides as seen in WR, and don't fail that last SMT to not look bad like Tyler used to do.

My guide ends here, as I said before I'll try to respond any question, watching the World Record will be useful. Good luck, you'll need it!

By the way, Wheel/D-pad is BROKEN. Gains almost 2 seconds on this track overall, and no, I'm not joking.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    CanadianWifier, Ara, Doodle and 4 others like this.
  2. RubenD

RubenD

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Obvious Brilliance
    y si eres manco como haces? :grumpy:

Luso likes this.
  3. Luso

Luso mk8 is the superior game

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    imperious