1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can click here to download a zip file containing WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

New MKU-DX Pre-season Tournament

Discussion in 'Help, Information, & News' started by Teeples, May 12, 2017.

?

5v5 or 6v6 meta?

Poll closed May 17, 2017.
  1. 5v5

90 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. 6v6

66 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    It's that time folks, the league is officially getting under way!

Before we start, a couple house notes:​

• The MKU section for vanilla MK8 is on viewable only mode for now.
    • The ruleset has been updated and can be found here
    • As you will have noticed, there are 150cc / 200cc / Battle team sections. MKU plans to run events for all 3 of these. For now, battle will not happen for the pre-season as we need to find out how to properly run battle and what the meta should be. Feel free to give your opinions as well if you are knowledgeable on the battle scene!
    • There is a poll at the top. This is whether people want to keep 6v6 as the league meta or change it to 5v5. If you don't plan on playing competitive MK8DX, please be courteous and do not vote. Note that if 5v5 becomes the meta, the player requirement will go down from 10 to either 8 or 9.
    For the first even we're going to host a Swiss style tournament (150cc / 200cc (if interest)). Regardless, 200cc will start with season 1 (and hopefully battle), but it may not warrant needing a swiss depending on how large the scene wants to be. As this is a new game, we don't have much information on where teams should be seeded and making divisions in pre-season defeats the whole purpose of a pre-season. Everyone will be tested on an equal playing field.

For those that do not know how a Swiss style tournament works. Every week, you play opponents with the same record as you. So obviously week 1 is a toss up since everyone is 0-0. Then if you lose the first match, you'll play a team week 2 that also lost their match. So the more you win, the better the teams you play will be. The seedings for season 1 will be heavily influenced by the results of this tournament.

Start Date: Sunday, May 21st (3 pm EDT match times) | 200cc Saturday, May 20th (4pm EDT)
    Projected End Date: Sunday, June 18th (5 weeks/matches) | 200cc Saturday, June 17th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eligible 150cc Teams:

Adaptability
    Arcadia
    Champi Brothers
    Drift Riders
    Fatal Aces
    Final Emblem
    Galaxy Meteors
    Gravity Rainbow
    Hearts Brothers
    High Definition
    Horizon
    Karting Skills Motorsports
    Mario Party
    Midnight Wasps
    Mushroom Team
    Obvious Brilliance
    RagnaRock
    Rainbow of Karts
    Severance
    Star Clan
    Team JBZZ
    Team Luxemboug
    Tuestame la Tostada
    Wii Elite Clan
    Yoshi Family
    Zealous

Don't meet the requirement (less than 8 registered)

Les Extralamars (Needs 1 more)
    Oracles
    Sovereignty (Needs 2 more)
    Tokyo Drift Kings (Needs 7 more)
    Ultra (Needs 5 more)

Total: 26/32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200cc Teams:

Arcadia
    Drift Riders
    Fatal Aces
    Mario Party
    Severenace

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. Tyler

Tyler May I have this valse?

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    6v6 shine thief is the most balanced, i'm the one who has played the most battle wars you can trust me

i wish you didn't even bother polling it, there's an obvious stigma around 6v6 right now because people are new and can't deal with the amount of communication required in those types of rooms.

6v6 is undoubtedly better and i wouldn't even go as far to say 5v5 is a temporary fix because it doesn't fix anything. it just makes the game more stale because nothing happens and nobody gets hit, you can't hold power items to win and it rewards group front running more than the original mario kart 8 did, and we all know how that went over with the community.

if you go through with 5v5, svc will stomp everyone and make them quit, and the one's who don't quit because of that will quit because it's so god damn boring. including us.

Tomsu, Espada, joel... and 2 others like this.
  3. Kyoto

Kyoto Switch :)

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    [WEC]
    Maybe it's your opinion but for the most teams it's better to participate, because getting 6 people can be hard most of the time. If you don't wanna play 5v5 that's completely fine but stop saying 5v5 is boring just because it's not your wish size, and most of the teams we played was a 5v5 also we had enough fun i think when i speak for other teams. Play your 6v6s and we play our 5v5s not a big deal or just make an own league. if it's 6v6 we do the same simple as that. you cannot make everyone happy. Wasn't meant negative but stop trying make everyone changing their mind because it won't happen anyway. This was just as a head's up.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Crazykonga likes this.
  4. Blaze

Blaze

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Not HD
    If the meta warmode is unpopular after the first season, it could always change right? I voted for 5v5 but i wouldnt be mad or anything if 6v6 wins since im pretty open minded. We definitely should give a chance for 5v5s, but if 5v5s seem to be a failure then lets definitely switch to 6v6s for the next season. People seem pretty split about this so if a meta change is possible then thatd be perfect

Also @Kyoto making a new league just for another meta wouldnt be the best idea, as itd just completely shatter the mk8dx community (which wouldnt be healthy at all less than a month into the game), but what youre saying is understandable

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Fakol and Kyoto like this.
  5. Kyoto

Kyoto Switch :)

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    [WEC]
    I just asked many people and they rather 5v5 more so why not do an extra league then. I doesn't need to be the case yet, but when the most people want to play this when those people are not playing MKU they can play in another 5v5 league. (just my opinion) but you're alright

Blaze likes this.
  6. Schmear

Schmear

Team:
    Mecriless
    Have separate leagues for 5v5 and 6v6 is just pointless since you have to double the amount of organization for it for what is really not much of a benefit.

7. Elpis

Elpis lul

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Midnight Eclipse
    top divisions with 6v6 and the rest 5v5 potentially? the top, skilled, stable teams play in the preferred mode while 5v5 for those still developing as a team. can help stability and basic communications, as the clan grows from competitions they will eventually climb into a division where they are capable of 6v6

silly suggestion i know and i don't expect it to go through but idk, just some thoughts i had laying around

8. Owen

Owen WL Staff World Cup Staff

• Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    • World Cup Staff
    why couldn't we use this to try out 6v6 to see how it gets on in a season format and if it is bad consistently just switch out

9. Blaze

Blaze

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Not HD
    Theres many top teams that prefer 5v5 and lower teams that prefer 6v6 so that prob wouldnt work well. Also itd be pretty inconsistent

10. Elpis

Elpis lul

• MKBoards Supporter
    Team:
    Midnight Eclipse
    yeah was just a random idea, wasn't expecting it to go through

11. Xandzr

Xandzr escape the ordinary Staff Member WL Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    if we're going to be switching up war sizes then shouldnt we be doing 6v6 first because compared to now we're presumably going to have less people playing later on?

also i like the idea of top divisions playing 6v6 and the lower ones playing 5v5 while they learn how to communicate properly and such (i mean of course i do), but not sure if everyone in d1 would even be willing to try it out

12. Blaze

Blaze

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Not HD
    It only makes sense to me to have the majority tried out, but either way switching would be optimal if its really needed. Also, dont forget that theres probably lower div teams that would want 6v6s too

13. Boshi

Boshi Labowatch

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Blizzard
    Switch FC:
    2535-7772-1899
    For the topic: I'm fine with both war sizes, I have slightly more fun with 6v6 but can also see the arguments for 5v5. Since MKU is doing a swiss tournament now, I just got reminded of this MKU rule:

"a. The default match size is 6v6. i. Teams who only have 5 players available at the scheduled time must play the match in a 5v6 by default. ii. Matches may be played as a 5v5 if both teams agree on it. iii. Teams who have less than 5 players available at the scheduled time automatically forfeit the match."

Make the standard for this format the one thats gonna win the poll but give teams the option for the other one if they want to. I know its probably not great for statistics and stuff, but its a pre season and pre season should always be there to try out. So both formats just should be an option in a way. Though it makes probably more sense to make 6v6 the "standard" since its easier to drop a player if needed for a 5v5 then the other way around of course.

Get some data out of it, compare it and see after the 5 weeks which one is better/favored as standard.

Blaze likes this.
  14. DT_LINK

DT_LINK

Team:
    Champi-Brothers
    The community can't support a 6v6 format, many players tell me that their team can't play this format. And I can take an example : just with the player requirement, Champi-Brothers and Zealous can't participate this season, and I think that we are not the only one.

Just one time guys, just one, think about the community, not about you, if we continue in this way, the community will die. If we take the 6v6 format, the situation will be the same that the situation on MK8.

Cac, zitoun, Fakol and 4 others like this.
  15. Power

Power mec

• Banned
    Team:
    JBZZ
    emoji qui pleure des larmes de joie

16. Xandzr

Xandzr escape the ordinary Staff Member WL Staff

• Global Moderator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • WL Staff
    if you guys would recruit more than 6 or 7 members, that would probably help. at this rate you won't even be able to register for MKU because you're not even going to have the minimum requirement of players

17. Fakol

Fakol

• Founding Member
    Actually 5v5 like MKwii classic format for championship/tournament is better for all in MK8DX.

6v6 more for World Cup.

And is better to have 6 or 7 player active that 15 player not active or many of them not active haha.

zitoun and Blaze like this.
  18. Tyler

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    they're 2 entirely different games so just because mkw did something doesn't mean it'll be the best for mk8dx. plus mkw is basically 4v4 now because of baggers lol

Tzuzu likes this.
  19. Cac

Cac MKU Staff

• MKU Staff
    Team:
    Final Emblem
    Well, the statictics will decide all. Personally I think that 5vs5 is a bit better format because the MK8DX community is new and it needs to grow up so 6vs6 is a impediment for teams, which decide to start in this competitive game.

Anyway, we'll see if the votes could change and after that, If 5vs5 is been choosen, all teams needs to be agree with the rules. It is similar like politic, we maybe don't like other ideas but we need to accept it because we are obliged.

20. Kuzan Taisho

Kuzan Taisho Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    World Friend - ώƒ
    According to me, 5v5 will be the better option for the current meta due to the lack of advanced techniques and the aggressivity of the new item distribution (ton of reds, and frantic items in general) 6v6 format would be insane and against item strategy, even when you try to be crafty or smart with your items.

zitoun and Fakol like this.
  21. DT_LINK

DT_LINK

Team:
    Champi-Brothers
    The case of Champi-Brothers is just an example to show what is the real, and the principal problem about the 6v6 format. I don't want to recruit the first guy who want to come in the Team just to be a good man who respect the minimum requirement of players. I prefer to not participate in MKU and keep a good synergy on my Team. I hope you unterstand that.

zitoun and Fakol like this.
  22. Tyler

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    La Valse(Reg) & Va(CT)
    i've seen you in worldwides like 3 or 4 times randomly and you have pretty high vr so i'm assuming most of your online play time was spent in random worldwides, sorry if i'm wrong. anyway there's a ton of blues and reds in worldwides because the casual players who aren't good at driving fall really far behind and get more frantic items because of it. that sort of thing doesn't happen in wars since people can keep up for the most part, there's nothing wrong at all with what items you get in 6v6s and it's very possible to strategize and coordinate with your teammates on almost anything.

joel... likes this.
  23. Teeples

Teeples http://i.imgur.com/wZdLxlV.jpg

• Founding Member
    Team:
    Arcadia
    Switch FC:
    2469-5952-8199
    It could always change back to 6v6 if it goes to 5v5 and it's not optimal. People's opinions change all the time. I think it's fair to start with what the majority of the community wants.

24. Rookie

Rookie

• Founding Member
    Team:
    HD
    I think we shouldn't lock ourselves into any given format.

May be worth considering - for tournament formats 5v5 may be better (esp if multiple matches in a day), but it may be more possible to do 6v6 for league formats where you only prep for one match a week

Jake likes this.
  25. Kuzan Taisho

Kuzan Taisho Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    World Friend - ώƒ
    It's true i always did random
    worldwides with some time trials and battle until now, and that's what i can tell so far about this game, anyways let's see what will happen in clan wars.