1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Staff would like to offer a free name change to all users (including those that do not have supporter status) over Christmas weekend! Name changes will start being accepted at 12:00am EST on December 23 and they will stop being accepted at 12:00am EST on December 26. Please message any staff member and request a name change. You may find contacts on this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to upgrade PC

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Cynda, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Cynda

Cynda MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:

With my christmas money I'm wanting to upgrade my PC hopefully. Currently with my graphics card I can't even run Dolphin at 60fps and have to run all my games at lowest settings so I want a better card, doesn't have to be great but at least usable. Would also want it to be in the $300 range if possible

2. PhoenixRiku

PhoenixRiku

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    GTX 1060 6GB would be in your budget. Not sure how GPU intensive dolphin is as opposed to CPU intensive.

3. Cynda

Cynda MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:
  4. Rollergold

Rollergold Rosa Boi Staff Member

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Unity
    Dolphin is more CPU demanding then GPU demanding assuming you have a decent DX11 GPU like the GTX 580 or later. In Cynda's case a GPU upgrade is the way go.

Ya that is one of them, but not the only maker, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA and PNY also make 1060's and Nvidia also sells a reference card or what they call a founders edition card @ 300 dollars.

Also who built/made your system ? Someone like Dell or HP, a boutique system builder like Main Gear or Origin or was this a DIY build? I ask as you want to make sure your PC's PSU (Power Supply) can handle the extra load a GPU will tack on. PC's from Tier 1 builders like Dell or HP don't always come with a PSU that can handle a power draw from adding a GPU.

Personally unless you have a brand preference. I recommend EVGA's card's for Nvidia's GPU due to their moder friendly warranty (comes in handy if you need to remove the cooler for cleaning or in my uses, liquid cooling the card), great customer service and their 90 day step up program (Which is basically allows EVGA owners to upgrade to a faster card or next gen card (from the 1060 to 1160/2060) by paying just the difference of the new card card) and they have 1060 6gb cards under 300 dollars

https://www.evga.com/products/produ...GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. PhoenixRiku

PhoenixRiku

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    True with an integrated graphics card to something like a 1060 would be a lot bigger jump than that processor to an i7 or just a better i5 if no recording / streaming was wanted as well.

Also agree with EVGA being good brand choice, I've gone with MSI before as well and haven't had any complaints on it.

6. Cynda

Cynda MKU Staff

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    • MKU Staff
    Team:

My PC's an HP, here's the model and other info:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

7. Rollergold

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Unity
    Is this your system?

If so then you have 2 problems that basically make a using a GTX 1060 a non starter

1. That system has no full high expansion slots only half height slots, and the most powerful GPU available for half height slots is Nvidia's 1050Ti
    2. Your System has a 240w PSU and Nvidia recommends a 400w PSU for the 1060 and the 1060 will draw at least 120w when under load as per the card's TDP
    upload_2017-12-1_0-3-27.png
    upload_2017-12-1_0-5-9.png

So if you need an upgrade right now a low profile 1050ti is the best you can do right now with that current system
    https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1050-TI-4GT/dp/B01N2W8MJ9?th=1

However if you can put the dolphin gaming off for a while longer I would save and put that money towards a proper gaming pc in 500-700 dollar range.

8. Aqua

Aqua

Look at used parts, seems like you will need to pick up a new psu and motherboard.

9. Rollergold

• Administrator
    • MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    Team:
    Unity
    And a new case will be needed too + the 1050Ti, kinda of waste of money if you ask me. Still best to either just get the LP 1050Ti and then save the rest for a new build or just skip the upgrade and save up for a new build entirely with proper standardized components