1. Are you a supporter that wants to change your forum name? Just ask a member of site staff!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Beto's been working hard updating the homepage, and has also made a new app for league results! Please check the announcement for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You can click here to download a zip file conaining WCL and PL standings/schedules. We will update the file once we've managed to gather (if possible) all the data about IL and MKL.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Ice Outpost

Discussion in 'Triforce Cup' started by Jordan, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO

Combo:
    Super-heavy
    Blue Falcon/Streetle
    Slicks for dpad, Slims for stick
    Accel glider

Ice Ice Outpost is a very precise track with a lot of turns that can make you lose a lot of time if taken incorrectly. Your slides and soft drifts must be crisp and clean in order for you to get a good time. Also, you aren’t really ever going to want to full drift anywhere, except sometimes the ending shortcut. Every other turn should be soft drifted. However once you figure it out, you can truly appreciate its beauty.

During the countdown, you want to angle yourself very slightly to the left. To do this with stick, place your pad in the soft drift position and then at some point during the countdown return to neutral. If you time this right, your kart will align itself to the left very slightly. For the starting hops, do 2 hops, left right, and then 4 slides, L, R, L, L, and then start your drift. If you’re losing about .03 during the start hops randomly and you can’t figure out why, it’s probably because you’re hopping too late. Make sure that the first start hop is started as soon as the game lets you hop after the startup boost, and then continue to hop and slide quickly.

First turn: After your starting slides, you should be at a good distance to the wall where you can soft drift the entire first turn (except maybe the very last moment before you release it). Obviously, go as tight as possible, and this is done by soft drifting. When you release the MT, the first hop is actually a slide. On this terrain, for whatever reason, doing a slide will make you gain a few milliseconds here instead of a hop, whereas most of the time it is the other way around. Continue sliding in this pattern, while you pick up the coin on the left: right right left right right, right drift. If you’re using the dpad, add in an extra right slide before you start your drift.

For this next turn, you should be clearly on the right side of the track, but with a fair amount of distance between your kart and the edge. Start the drift soft drifting, once again. If you do it perfectly, the front of your kart will go off the edge of the track very slightly, however this is not necessary and will only gain a very minimal amount of time. At some point in this drift if you are using stick, do something that is very useful in a lot of places, but a lot of people don’t know to do it: you want to change your soft drifting angle for a moment before returning to soft drifting position, or else you will hit the wall. Normally, your perfect soft drift should be held at about a 45 degree angle to charge an smt perfectly, but when you adjust it like this you should simply rotate the stick closer to a vertical position. If you are using dpad, this won’t be enough to avoid the wall so you will have to press left for a moment before returning to a soft drift.

SMT release into shroom: This is by far one of the most technical parts of the course. At the very end of the drift, you are going to want to delay your smt slightly in order to get a bigger boost and also get the 2nd and 3rd coins. When should you do this? There are gray lines on the course, and you can learn the timing using these. Hold left right after passing the gray line on the turn, and then release the smt right on the next gray line. As you can see, this is not much time at all. I have seen a lot of people holding the SMT for too long, which loses a lot of time. If you have released this SMT perfectly, you will be in a perfect alignment to get the coins and a good shroom. Hop in this pattern: L L R L R R. After the 6th hop, use your shroom and continue hopping L R L R, and then add in a right slide, which Mr. L doesn’t do because he didn’t know about it. However, this shroom is much more difficult than it seems and it can be very annoying. Frame perfect hops are essential here, but if you do it perfectly, you will get extra air off of some of the hops, specifically the 2nd and 3rd ones. This can cause you to accidentally slide a lot, but don’t ever play it safe by hopping slow because that loses a lot of time and because playing it safe is dumb.

Yellow path turn: This turn is entirely soft drifted to the right, except for the very last section of it, where you hold left shortly before releasing your SMT. The timing of when to hold left here is very simple. Hold left at the exact moment that your SMT is charged. However, the release can be very tricky because you have to have a perfect alignment for the next turn, but you can’t even see the next turn yet. You will fail a lot of runs here on laps 2 and 3, but once you learn it, it won’t be that hard. After you release the SMT, do 2 left hops, and then hop right over the little wall onto the green path. When you land, do a left slide. When you land from this slide, you must be inside of the white part of the road right next to the wall or else you will lose a lot of time One thing to note about this slide is that it is actually quite forgiving, in that if your angle is too tight where it looks like you will hit the wall, you can make this slide much longer and hold away from the wall while doing so. After the slide, start soft drifting to the left for as long as you can without hitting the wall. Then, hold right, but in order to still charge the SMT right when you land and keep a tight line, flick the control stick back to soft drifting for a split second when you can. When you go over the ramp, continue holding right for a small amount, but then return to soft drifting left at some point.

The anti gravity section: Your SMT should charge at the moment you touch the ground if this is all done perfectly. Delaying the soft drift after going over the ramp is very important on Lap 1 because you can get all 3 coins consistently. The fastest hop pattern to use here is the one that I use, including a new MT that I added: R R L L R, followed by a left counter slide. For the MT, you must soft drift to the right, and then hold left in the drift so that you don’t hit the wall. After releasing it, do 3 left slides, and make sure these slides make you end up on the left side of the track, with an angle where you will not hit the spin booster in your next drift.

The big turn: Start soft drifting here and go inside of the spin booster. Go a bit wide to collect the 3 coins, which should bring you to 10 if you didn't miss any, but continue soft drifting for most of the turn. Hold right a little to avoid hitting the wall, and then soft drift again. Towards the end of your drift, delay your SMT very slightly.

Glider: This is very important, as it will help you get the low glider, but it is is my worst part of the track, and I don't understand how Mr. L seems to get the low glider so consistently. After you release the SMT, do 1 right hop followed by slides L R, and then a left hop onto the glider. Try to trick if you can and you may get a low glider trick. However, you can also get a low glider without a trick, and this is nearly as fast, but very easy to do. This is what I have found, but it may be off slightly: Low glider without trick is about .05 faster than a normal trick, and then low glider with trick is about .075 faster than getting it without a trick.

Ending shortcut: This is definitely one of the most difficult parts of the track to master, especially if you're using stick. When landing from the glider, you should be close to the center of the track or a bit on the left. You do not want to have the alignment that gives you the glider coins in the center because you will not be able to do the ending shortcut with that angle. When you land from the glider, it is very important to leave the pad neutral or up (so that the glider points down) during the glider, and land from it as soon as possible. When you land, soft drift immediately but start to put your pad all the way on the right completely because otherwise you will go too wide. After you land in the first iceberg, put your pad all the way on the left and hold that until you land. If you have done everything perfectly here, you will land on the middle of the track and not lose any time. Release your SMT as soon as you land and hop L L R L R and then slide L R L L.

Lap 2: most things are the same as lap 1, except for a couple of things. During the shroom, don’t try to be tighter because there are no coins. Also, do not do the extra slide after the shroom on laps 2 or 3 because the extra speed you have from the coins makes this slower. Go where the coins would be because it is the best angle. For the anti-grav section, there is a strat known as the path-switch. For this, when you land with your SMT from the ramp, hop R R L R L and then do a right counter-slide while getting air on a bump in the road. For this slide, it is very important that your pad remains neutral for the time that you are in the air, and only goes to the right when you are about to touch the ground. Then, do a left soft drift, which should lead you onto the yellow path. Release your MT, and do either 1 or 2 slides, first Right and then Left, and then start your left drift. Soft drift at first, but when you hit the spin booster, hold right so that you don't fall off, and return to the green path without getting any extra air. The spin booster will make you go slightly wide, so just time your soft drift again to when you need to go tight again. The rest of the lap is the same as lap 1.

Lap 3: The only difference here is the ending. Release your SMT on the second iceberg instead holding it in order to finish the lap as fast as possible. Do not hop here yet! A tip I have for this is to hold your soft drift a bit longer before putting your pad on the left in order to ensure that your SMT is charged. Then hop to the line as you land and the run is finished.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Tzuzu and Doodle like this.
  2. xytheon

xytheon

Cool guide for everyone !

Emilia and Ebba like this.
  3. christan

christan

Team:
    aboob
    made me get 1:43 ez no dpad

4. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    I'm tempted to post my dump of the track's textures here... will I get banned for that? I mean, the thread is really empty after all. :D

5. Harm

Harm Soul on Fire

• MKBoards Supporter
    • Founding Member
    This isn't the place for that. This thread is for improving in Time Trials. We don't have a dedicated section for MK8 mods yet.

6. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    What a bummer. If you ever make a modding section, let me know, it's basically my life. I could share some tutorials on it. :D

7. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO
    finished, just need to add pics and gifs @JDash

lonelymoon and Teeples like this.
  8. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    Thank you! I'm hoping to "SUB IT!" very soon. :D

Also, why can't you use Slicks with a non-advantaged controller? Doesn't it matter if you know how to drive the course properly? I've been using the Slicks all this time, nothing seems off-putting about it. :p

Dinostraw likes this.
  9. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO
    Nothing's really wrong, they're just slightly slower. I got a 1:46.6 with them until I switched to slims, but slims are much easier and also faster.

10. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    Isn't it supposed to be (hops: L, R) and then (slides: L, R, L, L)? Or is the guide implying that you should go to the yellow path lap 1? o_O

11. Jordan

Jordan

Team:
    EXO
    I was testing the community on how well they were playing attention, you passed.

ty for pointing this mistake out tbh

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    lonelymoon likes this.
  12. lonelymoon

lonelymoon Banned ;_;

• Banned
    Team:
    None
    I'm very observative tbh :angelic: